PDA

View Full Version : I have been fired

Eldon
05-25-2004, 02:25 PM
Long story short,

I installed software to capture screenshots of superior at my job. Results indicated recreational game playing over *0% of time. I was fired for my actions, my superior received a written reprimand. For those of you concerned, I had admin privileges and was responsible for documenting computer misuse. None of our users have any right to privacy. To bolster their charges against me, my company claimed that an IP address was embedded in said software (registry) that allowed intrusion by hacker, although they have no evidence otherwise. The IP address according to them was *50.5*.2*0.7 and they claim was owned by a hacker in Milton, Australia. All of this occured around the same time frame as the Sobig virus intrusion, which we knew to have infected many of our machines. Can anyone advise me on the right questions to ask? How to defend myself? Would a hacker leave their IP address in the registry? Isn't it more likely this could have been caused by Sobig. Also, we had several installations of Kazaa running on our network. Someone, please help!

Piexa
05-26-2004, 10:00 AM
Hi Eldon,

Assuming you're living in the US, your course of action depends on the outcome you seek. Do you want your job back at the same company? Or do you want to file suit to collect monetary compensation for wrongful termination, but not necessarily return to work there? Whether or not you've obtained employment elsewhere since your termination has a great deal to do with it, too.

~ Piexa

(Hi fEǚ.法Er and DATA!!!...the prodigal Piexa has returned :D )

Unregistered
05-26-2004, 04:22 PM
Whatever IP left behind by a malicious individual would invariably be a spoofed or proxy trail to nowhere. Your company is probably misreading the data to either a) suit their own needs and let you go, or b) lack of experience in diagnosis. Either way seems they lost a good conscientious IT employee. Don抰 sweat it, your talents will be used elsewhere where you are best appreciated and rewarded.

fEǚ.法Er
05-27-2004, 10:18 AM
hey ~ Piexa, you are not allowed anymore to stay out of sight for more than 2 days. This is unfair, we miss you.;)

fEǚ.法Er (http://fever.resourcez.com)

Piexa
05-27-2004, 04:39 PM
LOL fEǚ.法Er! Okay, I will sit down and stay put for awhile.

I see we have new moderators, huh? Fine ones at that! :D

Eldon
05-28-2004, 01:42 AM
Do you think the spoofed or proxy trail could have been left via an email attachment?

fEǚ.法Er
05-28-2004, 04:59 AM
Originally posted by Eldon
Do you think the spoofed or proxy trail could have been left via an email attachment?
..It is rather via the email header itself that we detect proxy's trail
fEǚ.法Er (http://fever.resourcez.com)

DATA
06-02-2004, 02:56 AM
hi piexa,

Seems you are back and ready to rock with your guitar.

Data.

Try a new job Eldob. You wouldn't be happy to work in a work environment you don't like. Take this as an oppurunity for a better job.

DATA
06-03-2004, 06:53 AM
hi,

getting fired is not funny, why the 5 star rating?

Data.

06-23-2004, 04:13 PM
The idea dehind all this is: don't give admin rights to lamers. That's not about PC usage, that's about real life. He was your boss after all.
You got fired? And what was that what you wanted? A raise in your salary?