PDA

View Full Version : Can't ping an IP address

Unregistered
06-16-2004, 07:31 AM
How come that I ping an IP address (currently online in the same LAN network) and I get the reply "Request timed out" ?

Note: I use Win*8, that computer has WinXP installed.

Thanks for your answers

MrByte
06-16-2004, 10:46 AM
This means that the target computer is firewalled:-) It's configured to discard incoming ping packets. The firewall is either the built-in WinXP firewall, or a *rd party product.

MrByte

fEš·.·šEr
06-16-2004, 11:42 AM
When you "ping" a destination you send a "ICMP" Internet Control Message Protocol request to its port 0 and you wait till receiving the echo.

As MrByte said, If the destination's port 0 (zero) is closed/stealth by a firewall, you won't get any echo reply, your ping request will end up by a "Request timed out".

fEš·.·šEr (http://fever.resourcez.com)

DATA
06-18-2004, 05:36 AM
hi,

You won't get a ping reply, if its a token ring either.

Data.

ladyhawk
07-09-2004, 11:54 PM
Hiya I'm new here and I have run into the same problem when I run a ping. I can get a WHOIS on the IP, but cannot get any furhter info on an IP using a trace route. It gets timed out during the last three checks and then tells me host is unreachable.

Data: what is a token ring? I am not familar with that.

Also, is there anyway to tell if a person is using a cloaking software or a cloaking site? For example, if a banned member were to use cloaking software or a cloaking site to access a forum could it retain the same IP each time that particular member logs in to post?

My friend said that it would, but it just doesn't seem like it would.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

fEš·.·šEr
07-10-2004, 05:41 AM
Originally posted by ladyhawk .............
Data: what is a token ring? I am not familar with that.

It is a network architecture (http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/N/network.html) developed by IBM.
fEš·.·šEr (http://fever.resourcez.com)

free-spam
07-10-2004, 11:22 AM
Edited: No spam

email-soft
07-10-2004, 11:22 AM
Edited by Data:

DATA
07-12-2004, 05:00 AM
hi,

Thanks for chipping in fever.

The idea is that in a token ring only the computer holding the token can communicate. if at this time, a ping is directed to some other computer on the network, it cannot generate a ping reply unless that computer is holding the token when the ping request arrived.

If you are using a cloaking website, the ip address of that site is logged on the forums. It is at times possible to query for certain parameters on a client. It can be prevented by disabling javascript,xml script etc...The site providing the service usually logs all your activities when you are using their services.

Data.

ladyhawk
07-14-2004, 04:48 PM
Thanks for the info Fever and Data.

I have a forum and I am having problems with banned members re-registering under different names. Now when they are banned, their IPs are banned also, but still they manage to using either a cloak or a website to alter their IP...but what I'm wondering is if there is a program out there that I can use to detect when one of these banned members is using such a program. A friend of mine s***ested NeoTrace, but I am not quite familiar with how that program works.

Thanks again for the help. :)

DATA
07-15-2004, 10:22 AM
hi,

The problem is that they can come from a different isp and re-register. It is best to tell them privately that they are now welcome and ask them to leave.

You can otherwise modify your ban mask.
for example
ban ip.ip.ip.* should ban all ip's in the last octect

A wider ban would be

ban ip.ip.*.* here we are banning users from last to octects, use it judiciously as you wouldn't want innocent users in that ip range to be banned.

Neotrace performs a trace route if I remember corretly. All it does is to trace the path/route from source to destination.

look at this url
http://all-nettools.com/toolbox

and do a trace route on an ip. That should give a clear picture of how it works.

Data.

tolik
08-03-2004, 06:44 AM
add in your .htaccess

deny from *.*.*.

this ban from access C type of network. they be redirected to your 40* page if you use ErrorDocument 40* http://domain.com/page.html
where * - numbers from ip address

for example -

deny from *27.0.0.

block all hits from all 256 ips in network.

tolik
08-03-2004, 06:46 AM
Originally posted by DATA

Neotrace performs a trace route if I remember corretly. All it does is to trace the path/route from source to destination.

not only

it also show geo location of servers what packets passed trought at world map and have other useful options

DATA
08-04-2004, 10:37 AM
hi tolik,

yes-nmap does come with the features you mentioned. thank you.

Data.

ladyhawk
08-14-2004, 02:10 AM
Thanks so much for the help! :)

Now I have another question. I have run into a small problem where it appears that a couple of members at my site have the same IP address, but do not live in the same home. But they both use AOL. I know I read somewhere, but I can't remember where, about AOL sometimes mimics their IPs and sometimes it appears to the same person, same home, but it's not. How can I find out for sure?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. :)

DATA
08-14-2004, 07:03 AM
hi,

Thats right, if there is a proxy server, all of users will appear to have the ip of the proxy.If you store any other environmnet variable,when a user visits yous site-you could compare them and see if they are same.

Data.

Blacksheep
08-23-2004, 02:54 PM
ladyhawk:

Now I have another question. I have run into a small problem where it appears that a couple of members at my site have the same IP address, but do not live in the same home. But they both use AOL.

AOL uses proxy servers. AFAIK impossible to trace user. Trace will end at AOL proxy.

DATA
08-24-2004, 06:56 AM
Welcome back Black Sheep. I could send you a PM, when you clear a few messages.Its bouncing presently.

Data.

Unregistered
08-24-2004, 09:05 AM
Hi

I'm a cisco engineer and been wathching this thread closely.
Before we get started - lets look at whats been going on here:

Win*8 user targets an IP address on the same LAN but doesn't get a reply even though he knows the server/pc is there.
His ICMP request seems to time out so doesnt get a response. You must remember that ping/tracert both use the same ICMP protcol so if one fails they both will fail.

Is it a small network that you're running or is it large (ie routers involved where "virtual lans" are included. If this is the case, although you maybe in the same lan you might not be in the same "lan" if you get what I mean!).

And if the architecture is Token Ring I doubt it would work on Windows XP as I dont think its supported. There could be natting (network address translation) between the ethernet and token ring so that it could work. And it would be on the same ring. But either way, I dont think this is the case.

Like a few members said, probably there is a firewall rule which is blocking icmp requests. If this is the case, I would remove it and set a MTU (max transmit unit) of say 2000 so that no DOS (denial of service) attack could affect you.

Lee

admin@team-una.co.uk

Blacksheep
08-26-2004, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by DATA
Welcome back Black Sheep. I could send you a PM, when you clear a few messages.Its bouncing presently.

Data.
Thanks DATA. I cleared my PM inbox. :)