PDA

View Full Version : hotmail

Unregistered
06-19-2004, 07:33 AM
i've got a hotmail e-mail and also use the same account for messenger. recently i have been getting e-mails from servers saying that an e-mail message sent my me could not be delivered (the recipient does not exist on their computers). Sometimes the message contains an attachment (important.zip) which contains a virus. The e-mails are from different computers, but all of them say that they rejected an e-mail i sent. The funny thing is that i havent sent any of those mails. an example of the e-mails is given below:

--------------------------------------
Message from: MyName@hotmail.com to shafraz_raja@ten-distribution.com
(T6a02db2ac4c*e0ee6**f8) with subject Important contained an Executable
attachment that violates the local policy.

The Entertainment Network
IS Helpdesk
(0*2*6) ***4*5

To: shafraz_raja@ten-distribution.com
Subject: Important
Sent: 05 June 2004 **:**:*8

Important informations!
----------------------------------------

the attachment in the above e-mail was a virus. i never sent this e-mail to shafraj-raja@ten-distribution.com.

whats going on, is there something wrong with hotmail or do i have a virus on my computer.

Please help.

Thanks

MrByte
06-19-2004, 11:21 AM
I think it's neither of the above. Many viruses send infected e-mailes with forged "From" addresses. So what happened is probably this ... Someone who has your e-mail address in the address book of his/her e-mail client got infected. The virus scanned the address book and sent infected messages where the "From" field contained one or several address it had found in the address book.

MrByte