PDA

View Full Version : Identifying my real surfing location?

justwondering
09-28-2004, 05:18 AM
If I'm in CA and I dial into a netzero number in NY will a web site I visit be able to tell I'm not really in NY but in CA? I would be dialing in using the *67 prefix, i.e. don't transmit phone #

supportcrew
09-28-2004, 01:18 PM
This depends on the ip address you get. But, commonly, there is no way for a web site to determine your location if you are dialing to another state. Your own (home) number may only be known to your ISP (netzero).

Legion
09-29-2004, 04:13 AM
if you are from california and you dial in NY to get access ..thats means you have to change your dial up set up, i remember when i was using MSN connection dial up i used to connect long distance just to change my IP so no one would know that im from california but this can be very expensive. you have to pay for long distance fee. i s***est use proxy instead. and to answer your question if youre using msn provider yes they change hostmask ex. if you are from cali your hostmask can be "la.lax.popsie.com" and if you decide to change and dial in NY it would change to buffalo.ny.popsite.com. but if you're using aol ..wether you connect to all different states it will still show you the default hostmask. ex. A*Ocpt.aol.com.

for more info CLICK HERE (www.proxynation.org) to get proxy instead.