PDA

View Full Version : opening and closing ports

N/A
01-12-2005, 08:44 PM
can any one tell me how to open and close ports i have windows xp home edition???

thanks, N/A

satarul
01-13-2005, 10:41 AM
think of it this way: you have all ports on your computer (*-655*5) closed. in order to connect to another computer, you have to send a request. it is sent through a port. you have successfully opened a port.
in order to close a port, kill the application that opened the port. or block all the traffic (incoming / outgoing) by using a firewall.
each port on your machine is described here (http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers)

N/A
01-24-2005, 11:07 PM
like how do u do that?????

SyntaXmasteR
01-24-2005, 11:18 PM
Few Steps:

*. Go to your control panel
2. Open Network Connections
*. Right Click on your Lan Connection and select Properties
4. Double Click "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)"
5. Click the Advanced button in the bottom corner of this window
6. Select the OPTIONS tab in the new window
7. Highlight TCP/IP filtering and select PROPERTIES

This is where you control all of your ports -

Unregistered
01-25-2005, 06:21 PM
i dont have the lan thing

satarul
01-25-2005, 07:09 PM
look for a "Local Area Connection" thing. you have to edit it's "Properties", then double click on "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)", then click "Advanced...", on the new window go to "Options" tab. doubleclick "TCP/IP filtering".
there they are, knock yourself out. :)

satarul
01-25-2005, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by satarul
look for a "Local Area Connection" thing. you have to edit it's "Properties", then double click on "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)", then click "Advanced...", on the new window go to "Options" tab. doubleclick "TCP/IP filtering".
there they are, knock yourself out. :)

SyntaX******, i think i know what you're thinking ... like: "what did i just sayŽ (TM)???" :D

SyntaXmasteR
01-25-2005, 07:40 PM
LoL No Comments :D