PDA

View Full Version : just read it if u know nething bout wireless network

Unregistered
03-07-2005, 11:34 PM
i dont know if this is the right place 2 post this but o well ..... i was wondering if neone knows nething bout how computers in cop cars work....like they connect 2 some type of server right??? and its gotta be wireless??? so couldnt u pick up the signals inbetween the cop car and the server or w/e they r connecting 2??? with like a laptop with a wireless adapter on it with som type of software on it??? i dunno maybe im in really deep...but i know u can do the same with people that have wireless internet

Master Po
03-08-2005, 12:36 AM
The terminal that's mounted inside the car is known as a MDT, or Mobile Data Terminal. One or more frequncies allocated to the agency by the FCC will be used for data transfer. I've heard what sounds like data transfer on a frequency in the VHF range over a regular police scanner, but I don't know what kind of software you'd have to have to decode it.

I'm sure they aren't using the 802.** standard that regular wireless LANS use. I have a WLAN and live within a few blocks of the local Police Department. The only AP NetStumbler shows besides mine is a linksys, and I'm sure it's not theirs.