PDA

View Full Version : IP Address

tape
07-06-2005, 01:56 AM
I visited someone's Xanga site and posted a comment, leaving no text trails that it was myself or any clues it could be me. The person who uses that Xanga somehow traced my visit to his website back to me. He claims he did it by checking my IP address and used that somehow, but how is that possible? This person did not know me before he traced it to me. Could someone please tell me how he did this?

D.Parker
07-06-2005, 09:48 AM
Well, he identified you by your IP address. That's all. I don't know how he contacted you, maybe he contacted your ISP first and they gave him your email/phone number, etc, I don't know. As for identifying, your IP address was the thing that you left in his webserver logs I suppose.

Unregistered
07-08-2005, 12:06 PM
I can see how he contacted me, but how did he figure out my name or whatever from my IP address. I thought the only way to find out specifically who it is is to contact the ISP. Basically, I want to know how much can someone figure out on me based on my IP address without contacting the ISP.

Unregistered
07-21-2005, 04:06 PM
This tool will keep a detailed log of all the visitors to your xanga page. Not only will the logger keep ***** of the visitors and their information, there are several useful tools to help you analyze the information.

Once your logger is installed, you will know their:
- xanga username
- IP address
- url of the page he/she visited on your xanga
- how many times this person has been to your xanga
- the url of the page that referred the visitor to your xanga
- exact time stamp of when the visitor arrived at your page
- unique user id