PDA

View Full Version : What does "Keep Alive" test?

Unreggie
10-18-2001, 11:18 AM
When I test a proxy in the envelope check one of the tests is "Keep Alive?" The answer usually comes back "Yes."

The other day it read "No." What does it mean?

DATA
10-23-2001, 09:36 AM
hi,

A keep alive means to keep the tcp connection open..

first u send a syn request to connect to the server and transfer data as usual.
after u send data the server usually keeps the connection i.e alive so that it doesnot do a fin disconnection every time and simply ever now and then when u access data frm the server it is an over head to the server.
so usually the connection is kept alive.
on servers-http *.0- "Keep alive header"
all http servers-*.*-have keep alive always on.

keep alive=false mean that the tcp connection is terminated..

that makes me wonder how the forum page in here keeps the mumber of guests visiting the forum at any point of time.

what if the guest close the window when in the forum.
how do u know that a guest leaves and decrement the number guests by one or is a tiime out being set after some period of inactivity or a cookie sending a sesssion key?

i wonder.
dear MR Bytr /Otto can u pls share with us how u get to do that.
thank u

Unreggie
10-29-2001, 09:55 AM
So is it good or bad if your proxy "Keep Alive?" = No.

Thanks.

MrByte
10-30-2001, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by DATA

that makes me wonder how the forum page in here keeps the mumber of guests visiting the forum at any point of time.

what if the guest close the window when in the forum.
how do u know that a guest leaves and decrement the number guests by one or is a tiime out being set after some period of inactivity or a cookie sending a sesssion key?

i wonder.
dear MR Bytr /Otto can u pls share with us how u get to do that.
thank u

This forum is built on the vBulletin engine, so I can't answer your question without looking at the PHP source code. But given its size, I don't feel like doing it :-) I hope it's not critically important. After all, the code counts online visitors, rather than my or our ***** :-)

DATA
11-01-2001, 01:53 AM
hi,

its not critically important,thank u.i was just wondering,thats all.
to keep the proxy dead or alive is up to u :)

One more thing.
now who said the september ** attack on wtc cannot be predicted by things that are not biological.

One of the planes that hit the wtc was- Q**NY (plane number)
now open it in a word document and open Q**NY with the "wing dings" font.U 'll be in for a big surprise!

-courtesy 'the internet'