PDA

View Full Version : Disable?

Unregistered
11-23-2001, 02:02 AM
I've been exploring and experimenting with proxies for anonymity and thought I had it going well. But Woaaaa, through the java test (of which I just discovered recently) my true IP is revealed. Blacksheep? You said to "disable ActiveX, Java, and Javascript in your browser" however, I don't know how to do that. Can anyone help me?

It seems to me disabling them would make viewing most websites impossible. There truly is "no privacy" is there?

Blacksheep
11-23-2001, 09:47 AM
By Unregistered:
"I've been exploring and experimenting with proxies for anonymity and thought I had it going well. But Woaaaa, through the java test (of which I just discovered recently) my true IP is revealed. Blacksheep? You said to "disable ActiveX, Java, and Javascript in your browser" however, I don't know how to do that. Can anyone help me?"

What browser are you using? If MSIE I can tell you how to selectively disable them in different Web content zones.

"It seems to me disabling them would make viewing most websites impossible."

Myth. Only some Web sites require these "features" be enabled in order for site to be fully functional. One should enable one or more, depending on level of trust, only for trusted Web sites . Otherwise malicious site can do bad things to your comp ranging from gathering your info to giving you virus/ backdoor.

"There truly is "no privacy" is there?"

Not much. For newbies it's usually an illusion or delusion.

Unregistered
11-23-2001, 11:11 AM
Yes, I use MSIE. I appreciate your fast response.

Blacksheep
11-23-2001, 01:44 PM
Hello Unregistered,

I'm gonna respond to your questions in new thread: Internet Privacy> Privacy/security tips. If you have more questions, just ask, there are many knowledgeable people on this forum.

Unregistered
11-24-2001, 03:19 PM
Thanks for all your help! You're great!