PDA

View Full Version : firewall blocked isp from port *0*8

Unregistered
12-16-2001, 06:41 PM
this has happened a couple of times here lately. why would my isp be doing this. it happened once while using a proxy and then again today. wondering about my isp these days. any ideas

Nulland Void
12-17-2001, 11:36 AM
Which firewall are you using?
Did you set up any specific rules?

Could you be more specific about what your log describes.

Yabut
12-17-2001, 01:29 PM
That port could be anything.
Scope this;
http://advice.networkice.com/Advice/Exploits/Ports/default.htm

It could be a program you loaded like some kind of chat thing or it could be a bad cookie or it could be a random hack attempt. If you want to learn what your connecting to grab a NETSTAT program (not the one that comes with windoze) and watch listening and connecting ports AS you run each program you use. Start a program, check the netstat, end the program.. try a diff one... check the netstat.
Netstats are also good for showing up trogens ( on odd ports like 5000, that are running when you have no programs running at all )
Don't freak out about ANYTHING until you are SURE what's what.

Blacksheep
12-17-2001, 09:14 PM
"firewall blocked isp from port *0*8
this has happened a couple of times here lately. why would my isp be doing this. it happened once while using a proxy and then again today. wondering about my isp these days. any ideas"

I had an ISP once that would run port scans on my high ports from dial-up IP and both DNS IPs thinking I wouldn't notice. Sniffers and good firewalls come in handy. Got a new ISP now that's not so nosey.

DATA
12-18-2001, 03:51 AM
HI,

fIRSTLY ports 0<x<*024 r the well known ports.

Further ports # *0*7-*0** Unassigned
by iana.

dont know whats so specific of it.

type netstat -na|more
to c ur ports listening or the current status of various ports

DATA
02-24-2002, 06:51 AM
HI,

there is a known attack with port *0*8.
but i think mainly with sql servers r vulnerable to it.

it is a remote attack,which puts a trojan in ur computer and runs commands on the computer via irc.

regards Data.

Unregistered
03-29-2002, 08:42 PM
No one has responded to my log question, but your post gave me some insight into a problem I may have with my ISP - looking for my web pages as soon as I log on (as evidenced by firewall log). Thanks for your impressions on the subject. Newbietoo

Unregistered_Yabut
03-30-2002, 02:10 AM
Try posting a FEW lines from your firewall logs.
( firewall logs are my hobby)
You gotta say what port its from, what port it hits... and if its using something particular..
for instance.. dll 's being activated can lead to IE trying to connect... or Mplayer.. etc.

* chuckle* Me don't think it's your ISP.
Hell when I was being harrassed.. ( way back in the beginning.. way~~~~~~ back) I ran whois searches on the IPs that were hitting me on Sub7 ports...
and it was my own computer.... * roe*
Man... I'll tell ya...the net is a HAY day cause NO one is policing anything . Nothin~~! You can shove it right up the nose of a major ISP and they don't do a thing. Never will. It costs them too much time.
I wonder if they would SNAP TO if you posted a main stream web page showing all their screw ups. No wait. I tried to do that. ......It mysteriously dissapeared.