PDA

View Full Version : Bypassing Superscout ??

Unregistered
01-29-2002, 11:06 AM
Our LAN is set up with Surfcontrol Superscout as a proxy server. Remote proxy sites are banned. As I already have to configure my browser to use the proxy server I can`t set it up to go to an external proxy server - any s***estions??

Unregistered
01-29-2002, 11:32 AM
Hmmm...... although Megaproxy itself is banned as a remote proxy the secure address listed in an earlier thread seems to work !!!!

I don`t understand why I can`t use proxy-servers direct by just sending my browser e.g. to *2*.*2*.*2*.*:8080/http://www.google.co.uk - but whenever I do I get a `This Page Cannot Be displayed Error` - NOT a superscout deny page error.

Hmmmm........

Blacksheep
01-29-2002, 12:08 PM
See this thread:

http://www.all-nettools.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=*27

Unregistered
01-30-2002, 09:22 AM
The thread you passed me to relates to blocking software that resides on the machine you are using - (e.g. cyberpatrol, netnanny etc.). Superscout is reasonably new and sits on the server.

It acts as a proxy server - all internet requests are directed through it and it filters access.

I think my sysadmin guy has just sussed megaproxy and banned it - although this forum appears to have escaped the notice of Surfcontrol!!

The normal use of a proxy server, in the sense that you guys discuss them, is to prevent the web site you are accessing knowing your identity. I want to use one for the opposite reason - so that my LAN doesn`t know the identity of the site I am accessing. All the standard proxies are banned - megaproxy etc. (I have chased up and down links trying to find one not banned - but to no avail!!) - but in theory setting one up oughtn`t to be do hard ?????

Web space can still be had for free and a little cunning JAVA code or similar (not my forte I`m afraid - anything beyond basic HTML is out of my league!!) - ought to be able to go to a requested url and make it look as if the data was coming from it - preferably with all file names renamed to innocuous sounding ones - now that could mean following all the active links and copying the files onto the server and renaming them - so on the other hand maybe it would be quite complicated.

Blacksheep
01-30-2002, 12:21 PM
Ya might try JAP: http://anon.inf.tu-dresden.de/index_en.html

May the wind be at your back brother...

Fuzzyman
01-31-2002, 11:01 AM
:D
:p

What a program - very efficient, nice front end, seems to do what it says. Have yet to try accessing FTP sites etc. with it or test it to destruction but seems very good.

Am using it sparingly as I guess that instead of seeing all my usual trawl around the web it now looks to my sysadmin as if I am just visiting one site in Germany !! A touch suspicious if I`m not careful. The only other drawback is that when I use my Google home page icon it figures I`m German and gives me the German version!!

All I need now is a newsgroup reader and a file share program that will let me configure them for proxy server use and tinker with mIRC a bit more and I really will be flying !!

MANY THANKS