PDA

View Full Version : Obtaining IP Address from Forum Members' Posts

Pullinbig
11-17-2006, 12:38 AM
Hello all,

I was wondering if it was possible to obtain someone's IP address from a forum where they are hidden, and you are not any type of administrator who could access the IP address through the forum software?

So in essence, If I am some member on a ***rd even like this one, and I wanted to find out another user's IP address on this ***rd and I had no access to the IP log on the ***rd, could I find it out somehow?

Thanks all I appreciate it. Please use laymen's terms if someone can explain.

Ezekiel
11-17-2006, 03:24 AM
Hello all,

I was wondering if it was possible to obtain someone's IP address from a forum where they are hidden, and you are not any type of administrator who could access the IP address through the forum software?

So in essence, If I am some member on a ***rd even like this one, and I wanted to find out another user's IP address on this ***rd and I had no access to the IP log on the ***rd, could I find it out somehow?

Thanks all I appreciate it. Please use laymen's terms if someone can explain.

Not from the forum.

But there are other ways.

Embed an image in a post you know he will read, which is located on your server. Log his IP address and send the image.

Ask him to visit an IP address logging script.

Pullinbig
11-17-2006, 10:02 AM
Thank you for the reply Mike.

My problem is this. I'm on a forum and someone is threatening to post my IP address for everyone to see but they are not a forum moderator or administrator. They said they can get my IP and trace it.

I have not clicked on any image that they have in their signature or on any post. Are they fibbing?

Pullinbig
11-17-2006, 01:04 PM
Is there a way to get it through PHP?

Moonbat
11-17-2006, 04:28 PM
A simple PHP script on THEIR site or webpage can log your IP.

~~smart~fool~~
11-17-2006, 05:28 PM
lol you cant run a code from a post:rolleyes:

~~smart~fool~~
11-17-2006, 05:30 PM
:edit: oops

Pullinbig
11-17-2006, 09:46 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm not a hacker but I know enough to get around my own stuff. I guess what I meant was this person told me they were manipulating the PHP and were able to access everybody's IP addresses that were members on the ***rd.

Are they then full of sh*t? Because I suspect it. lol

Newby_Programme
11-17-2006, 10:25 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm not a hacker but I know enough to get around my own stuff. I guess what I meant was this person told me they were manipulating the PHP and were able to access everybody's IP addresses that were members on the ***rd.

Are they then full of sh*t? Because I suspect it. lol

Well im not a big hacker yet and im still really learning here so. I would say they are fibbing ask them to show you on msn or something to see your ip. Then once you got it go on google and type "Whats My Ip?" go to one and it will display your ip if it matches the one they got then they aint lieing if dont then they are pluffers.

Good Luck