PDA

View Full Version : Jap

Unregistered
02-18-2002, 03:17 AM
HI,
I've been testing the proxies from 'rosintrument' on this site and it's detecting where i come from and also giving out my ISP and country of origin.
I'm trying JAP now, and although it says PROXY DETECTED, it says UNKNOWN for where i've come from.
Seems alright, except i don't know who the people at JAP are.
Does anyone know their identity???

Unreggie
02-18-2002, 06:43 AM
[slighty modified from my post in the "Proxy chaining" thread ]:

JAP will know your true IP. JAP will know your final destination. And if you're not encrypted JAP will know your communication.

This is the problem with ANY website offering portals, proxy service and the like. You have to start at their website and YOU DON'T KNOW WHO IS BEHIND THAT WEBSITE.

For near total anonymity one must PGP encrypt, telnet to a shell account, use one or more proxies you find yourself, SSL, tunnel, etc. etc.

cheers,

Unreggie

Unregistered
03-19-2002, 02:33 PM
It is an research by the ********* university of Dresden in Germany. It does encrypt your package several times and sends it over multiple mixes. Check out:

http://anon.inf.tu-dresden.de/index_en.html

JAP acts as a local proxy between the browser and the insecure Internet. All requests for web pages are handled by JAP and are encrypted
several times. The encrypted messages are sent through a chain of intermediate
servers (named Mixes by the inventor of the theoretical background, David Chaum) to
the final destination on the Internet.

Unregistered
04-08-2002, 04:40 PM
Theoretically, JAP will use a Chaum mix with multiple envelope encryption. This will not only obscure your IP to a web site, but it will make it infeasible for even the JAP participants to tell what sites you're accessing (unless the system traffic is very low). The first site you connect to, however, will be able to determine your IP. This is unavoidable--think of your IP as analogous to your phone number. If nobody knows it, there's no point in having it; the idea is to keep it to only those people who really need to know it, as opposed to writing it on the wall of every bathroom stall you visit.

JAP is not yet fully deployed. They point out very carefully that, although the encryption is in their opinion sufficient to keep an employer or ISP from *****ing your surfing, the Chaum mix is not yet complex enough to ensure that the mix participants can't monitor you. So don't use it for espionage work--anyone that can secure the cooperation of the university can trace your usage, although it will be an effort.

Another product to check out along these lines is SocksChain (http://www.ufasoft.com). No encryption or anything; it just uses a random or prespecified set of SOCKS proxies to obscure the origin. Anyone monitoring your connection, or anyone who can get the logs of all proxies involved, can trace you; unless you do something illegal, few people will make that effort.

Newbie doobee doo
04-10-2002, 07:47 AM
Never heard the term Chaum mix be4. Define please?

Unregistered
04-10-2002, 10:15 AM
Can't help you out on this one, sorry. Just had to say that I got a kick out of your handle. Yours is better than mine :) Regards, Newbietoo

Newbie Doobee Doo
04-11-2002, 06:08 AM
Hi Newbietoo,

Well since you mention it I must admit it was seeing YOUR nic that gave me the idea to do a spinoff of plain vanilla Newbie. You-- and ol' Blue Eyes :-)

Unregistered
04-11-2002, 07:11 PM
Well, I am flattered :) And what a coincidence - blue eyes also. Gosh, this place does need a sense of humor once in awhile - agree? But you do know, of course, as I have come to realize, that the word "newbie" is like advertizing that you're a "*****man" (again :))!!!! It can be lonely out there!!!! Regards, Newbietoo