PDA

View Full Version : Can Anybdy Help Me Abt Keyloggers

Vipul Motiwala
01-04-2007, 10:51 AM
Hello everyone..... i had some questions about keyloggers... can anybody help.... how can i know if a keylogger is presently working on MY system..... how do I assign whether to which e-mail address the log has to be sent as I won't be the one who'll be installing it.... i actually don't know much about keyloggers so please help me!

~~smart~fool~~
01-04-2007, 07:53 PM
Hello everyone..... i had some questions about keyloggers... can anybody help.... how can i know if a keylogger is presently working on MY system..... how do I assign whether to which e-mail address the log has to be sent as I won't be the one who'll be installing it.... i actually don't know much about keyloggers so please help me!

To know if you have one, run some decent virus software or look for unusual process in the taskmanager.

As for emailing logs, get win-spy (www.win-spy.com/) which will design a file for you with your email receiving the logs.

(I just realized you can delete a message by pressing advanced while editing)

Vipul Motiwala
01-05-2007, 04:08 AM
To know if you have one, run some decent virus software or look for unusual process in the taskmanager.

As for emailing logs, get win-spy (www.win-spy.com/) which will design a file for you with your email receiving the logs.

(I just realized you can delete a message by pressing advanced while editing)

Thank You for your help... Can you tell if the latest version of avg i.e. 7.5 can help.... i am runinng it and i regularly update it... and if u think avg is not sufficient can please s***est some better antivirus..

~~smart~fool~~
01-05-2007, 09:04 AM
<Im running avgfree now ;)>

Ezekiel
01-05-2007, 12:08 PM
Antivirus programs are redundant if you are a smart user of the Internet and are conscious of the threats out there. The 'safety' they offer is not really justified by the large amount of resources they consume.

The only situation I can see where they're necessary is scanning downloaded files for viruses, and this is a one-time thing where you could only run the AV program when necessary.

Saying that, I use them when on Windows, but mostly because of laziness to remove them.

Vipul Motiwala
01-07-2007, 05:26 AM
Antivirus programs are redundant if you are a smart user of the Internet and are conscious of the threats out there. The 'safety' they offer is not really justified by the large amount of resources they consume.

The only situation I can see where they're necessary is scanning downloaded files for viruses, and this is a one-time thing where you could only run the AV program when necessary.

Saying that, I use them when on Windows, but mostly because of laziness to remove them.

so can you please s***est something which can help me better or some tips which i can follow to stay protected and do not completely depend on antivirus.... and ya... as i asked earlier how can i detect keyloogers on my pc?

Troll
01-07-2007, 09:35 AM
so can you please s***est something which can help me better or some tips which i can follow to stay protected and do not completely depend on antivirus....

It's simple really...

*) Have an antivirus and antispyware program(s)..
2) Keep those programs updated (search for updates atleast once a week)..
*) Scan things you download..
4) Turn window's auto-update on, so updates wil be automatically installed..
5) Have a firewall (and turn it on :p ) (windows now have a free firewall in xp)..
6) Monitor your computer for unusual things..
7) And most importantly, educate yourself

Ezekiel
01-07-2007, 10:49 AM
so can you please s***est something which can help me better or some tips which i can follow to stay protected and do not completely depend on antivirus.... and ya... as i asked earlier how can i detect keyloogers on my pc?

What he said ^. And if in doubt, run a packet sniffer for a few hours and you'll know if you are hosting any unwanted activity.

More points:

Use Firefox if you want to be safe from most online threats (most are targeted at IE). To be even safer, use a form of Linux. At the moment it's not worthwhile for script kiddies to target non-IE users.

Encrypt your router's WiFi (if you use it).

Use Msconfig and Regedit to find programs automatically starting on each boot; remove them if they look suspicious.

Vipul Motiwala
01-07-2007, 01:18 PM
It's simple really...

*) Have an antivirus and antispyware program(s)..
2) Keep those programs updated (search for updates atleast once a week)..
*) Scan things you download..
4) Turn window's auto-update on, so updates wil be automatically installed..
5) Have a firewall (and turn it on :p ) (windows now have a free firewall in xp)..
6) Monitor your computer for unusual things..
7) And most importantly, educate yourself

Still thanx for ur tips ..... but Hey Troll you know what..... i'm not that stupid...ok... i asked MIKE and not u... so ur not the one who shuld tell me that i should educate myself... and judging by ur last line.... there is one thing that u shuld educate urself with... that is MANNERS....

Vipul Motiwala
01-07-2007, 01:22 PM
What he said ^. And if in doubt, run a packet sniffer for a few hours and you'll know if you are hosting any unwanted activity.

More points:

Use Firefox if you want to be safe from most online threats (most are targeted at IE). To be even safer, use a form of Linux. At the moment it's not worthwhile for script kiddies to target non-IE users.

Encrypt your router's WiFi (if you use it).

Use Msconfig and Regedit to find programs automatically starting on each boot; remove them if they look suspicious.

thank you MIKE..... by the i follow the *st and the *rd one but i'm not familiar with this encryption of router... can u help or direct me to any tutorials

Troll
01-07-2007, 01:34 PM
Still thanx for ur tips ..... but Hey Troll you know what..... i'm not that stupid...ok... i asked MIKE and not u... so ur not the one who shuld tell me that i should educate myself... and judging by ur last line.... there is one thing that u shuld educate urself with... that is MANNERS....

I didn't mean to offend you..

If you were only asking Mike then you should have sent him a private message instead of posting your question on a public forum.

By educating yourself i meant learn more about computer security, you may not be "that stupid" but you obviously don't know everything about computer security otherwise you wouldn't have asked about keyloggers. In fact, i'm sure no-one knows everything about internet security.

If you believe you know enough about it then don't educate yourself... my tips were only tips, not orders.

~~smart~fool~~
01-07-2007, 02:30 PM

You are the one being an asshole. He was trying to help you. And 'educate yourself' is not offending and is something you need to do.

Ezekiel
01-07-2007, 05:33 PM

He helped you; nothing was malicious.

thank you MIKE..... by the i follow the *st and the *rd one but i'm not familiar with this encryption of router... can u help or direct me to any tutorials

There are * choices currently when setting up a router--WEP, WPA or no encryption. WEP is a security technology that protects your network from casual laptop users connecting, but is easily crackable. WPA is considered to be better than WEP, but there are several articles explaining weaknesses in it. If you opt to have no encryption, this is bad in all situations apart from when you want plausible deniability ("I have an open WiFi network--someone else hacked the government.").

You do know this is all for wireless networks, right? Wired LANs don't really need encryption.

As for tutorials, read your router's manual; things vary with different machines.

Vipul Motiwala
01-08-2007, 05:54 AM
I didn't mean to offend you..

If you were only asking Mike then you should have sent him a private message instead of posting your question on a public forum.

By educating yourself i meant learn more about computer security, you may not be "that stupid" but you obviously don't know everything about computer security otherwise you wouldn't have asked about keyloggers. In fact, i'm sure no-one knows everything about internet security.

If you believe you know enough about it then don't educate yourself... my tips were only tips, not orders.

By clearing it.... i am sure u didn't..ok i am also sry...

Vipul Motiwala
01-08-2007, 05:57 AM
You are the one being an asshole. He was trying to help you. And 'educate yourself' is not offending and is something you need to do.

it's not with his willingness to help but the way he said it... any normal person can take that line as an offence... and also the way he laid stress on educate urself seemed offensing bt now that he has cleared it i have no probs...UNDERSTAND

DATA
01-08-2007, 07:23 AM
Hi,

Check out Key Scrambler

http://www.qfxsoftware.com/