PDA

View Full Version : is it possable to find out emails from ip's

laxdevil21
01-05-2007, 03:16 PM
Can You Figure Some Ones Email Address From Tehir Ip. And Can Cain Decrypt The Email When Or If You Can Get It ?

Moonbat
01-05-2007, 04:34 PM
Decrypt the email? Is the email you want encrypted? Find out what encryption it's encrypted in, then brute force it. If it is DES, then don't waste time. For some reason, Cain can decrypt MD5, Kerberos, and Triple DES (*DES) but can't do standard DES. Since your probably gonna have to brute force (you can't dictionary attack a whole email message), it'll take a loooooooooooooooong while (I'm talking maybe *00 years) most likely.

If you mean the email's password, then you have to intercept the packet with the password hash.

About the IP to email thing, I'm pretty sure you can't.

Ezekiel
01-05-2007, 05:54 PM
Can You Figure Some Ones Email Address From Tehir Ip. And Can Cain Decrypt The Email When Or If You Can Get It ?

Here's a hint: if you want a helpful answer, type in proper sentences.

The answer is no, you can't figure out someone's email address from their IP number. It is impossible for such a database to exist which could link IP numbers to email accounts, and it would take the ISPs a lot of traffic inspection to figure out what services you sign up to. It would be illegal. I suppose if you're talking about email accounts provided by ISP, then it's usually [ISP username]@isp.com. You don't usually know their username.

To your second question, what the hell has Cain got to do with this? People just seem to read one paragraph of text from this forum then write the most unintelligible posts, add in a few hacker sounding references and expect everything to just work. Cain is useful for network traffic capturing, windows password retrieval and password cracking. Nothing else.

Decrypting emails? Since when do average users encrypt email?

Decrypt the email? Is the email you want encrypted? Find out what encryption it's encrypted in, then brute force it. If it is DES, then don't waste time. For some reason, Cain can decrypt MD5, Kerberos, and Triple DES (*DES) but can't do standard DES. Since your probably gonna have to brute force (you can't dictionary attack a whole email message), it'll take a loooooooooooooooong while (I'm talking maybe *00 years) most likely.

According to Wikipedia,

AES has replaced DES - that's probably why Cain doesn't offer decryption of it.

Moonbat
01-05-2007, 06:49 PM
I know, but DES cracking would be useful. I'm not sure if you've heard of 'Frontpage hacking' which basically cracks a password found in a file in the /_vti_pvt directory. This, along with the username found in the same directory, will allow a malicious hacker to edit the person's site and upload pages, provided that said hacker has Frontpage.

~~smart~fool~~
01-05-2007, 07:23 PM

Keylog them typing in their email addres :D