PDA

View Full Version : Q: Web e-mail account logs

Unregistered
03-20-2002, 07:50 PM
In what way keeps web based e-mail services like hotmail and mail.com logs of the traffic? Is it just the ip-numbers or do they keep the mails sent and received for each account etc? In that case, for how long?

Regards,

Magoo

DATA
03-21-2002, 12:49 AM
hi,

No,its not just the ip address & few headers.
They do store ur mails on a secondary back up server.
I dunno how long they keep it,Just that many mail server can back up data for * week.

regards Data.

Unregistered
03-24-2002, 04:45 AM
Is this correct? --I thought that even if you shredded your e-mails that they could still be readable ,and held on server for an indefinite period-up to 5 years ,if I remember correctly
Anyone got any imput here ?

DATA
03-24-2002, 07:04 AM
HI,

it depends on how many times the deleted area is over writted.
DoD standards use * pass shredding.
7 pass shredding is considered safe enough.
An organisation with a larg budget will be able to read the messages using electron tunneling microscopes as far as i know upto 5 or 6 passes.ie even after over written after 5 times.

and held on server for an indefinite period-up to 5 years ,if I remember correctly
Anyone got any imput here ?

There is nothing like that it will stay on the server for 5 years.The more time the shredded data is over written,the safer it is.
A *2 pass shred is done in digi secret.Thats very much safe
and is done in a few seconds.
http://www.tamos.com/products/digisecret/

regards Data.

Unregistered
03-25-2002, 04:39 AM
sorry
what i meant was that even if you do shred your emails , that the email server ,hotmail or yahoo would still have it on data file for an indefinite period ---
Any idea how long ?---

Blacksheep
03-25-2002, 02:26 PM
You might as well get used to the idea that Web based or ISP provided email server admins can do whatever they wish with your email - they can read it, if it is not encrypted, they can store everything forever, etc..

So, it's never wise to engage in illegal activity on the Internet. True and complete anonymity on the Internet is an illusion.

Unregistered
03-28-2002, 10:30 AM
Hi Blacksheep, I am self-taught, but still a newbie. After two years of reading everything I can get my hands on - same conclusion as you - seems like internet privacy will "never be". No matter how far one gets with proxies, chaining, encryption etc. wherever you began, has your IP!!!! That's why hackers need to "take over" another pc to do their dirty deeds - great for them, horrible for the victim. Unlawful privacy!!!! Bottom line - be a good citizen on the internet. Another chuckle for all - the telephone with caller block (but someone can block the blocker:)) and the regular mail service are looking better and better all of the time!!!! The more things change the more they remain the same (I know, corny). Regards, Newbietoo

Unregistered_Yabut
03-29-2002, 12:02 PM
I wonder what would happen if someone set up their dial in to block their phone number? Up here it's *70 to block your number from showing up.. I wonder if this would have any effect at all on a dial up. Anybody want to try it and post the results? ( I can't)

???????????

Blacksheep
03-29-2002, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Unregistered_Yabut
I wonder what would happen if someone set up their dial in to block their phone number? Up here it's *70 to block your number from showing up.. I wonder if this would have any effect at all on a dial up. Anybody want to try it and post the results? ( I can't)

???????????
Hey yourself!

I had no problem with my dial-up ISP after I installed Radio Shack CID blocker between my pc and phone line.:)

Unregistered_Yabut
03-30-2002, 02:15 AM
Does it effect your dial in to ISP at all? If so how?

( for a minute there I thought Radio shack had cornered the market on internet privacy)

Unreggie
03-30-2002, 08:34 AM
Now this is interesting. When you sign up for a dialup ISP account they ask for your area code and tel#. Do you HAVE to supply your real one?? Would the dialup connection work if you supply a fake one? What if you gave them a different area code? Would the account work? This, plus the CID block like Blacksheep describes would at least allow a degree of privacy.

Unregistered_Yabut
03-30-2002, 01:42 PM
Youre ISP has to recognise you by your phone number but they should be able to still.. if you block t he number with *70. However I wonder * shrug* if it would effect wether y our real IP# would show up or not.. or how.

Unreggie
03-31-2002, 09:31 AM
"Your ISP has to recognise you by your phone number"

I'm not so sure. After all, a dialup account is supposed to be accessible from ANY phone, ANY computer, just so long as your ID, pw and TCP/IP are configured correctly when you dial in. So why should using a fake telephone number at signup make a difference?

Unregistered_Yabut
03-31-2002, 12:24 PM
I forgot about that.

So I wonder if blocking the number would make any diff to the IP # showing up anywhere.

Though I am sure if it DID, MS would find a FIX so that you couldn't do that anymore.

Blacksheep
03-31-2002, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by Unregistered_Yabut
Does it effect your dial in to ISP at all? If so how?

( for a minute there I thought Radio shack had cornered the market on internet privacy)
It didn't affect my dial-up at all, except my ISP could no longer log which phone number I dialed in from.

The ISP does not need your phone number - you are recognized by username and password.

Unregistered
03-31-2002, 09:09 PM
Had no idea that I started something re: ISP and blocking dial up. My ISP snoops on me the moment I sign on. Regards, Newbietoo

Unregistered
04-08-2002, 05:37 PM
Your IP doesn't need to know what number you're calling from to ID you, if you pay them. They get checks, or they have your ****** card. Most won't accept cash mailed to them.

I use Cotse for email; they don't care who I am, and accept anonymous payment through PayPal, which is as good as my trust in Cotse. If they wanted to, they could find out my IRLID; so could law enforcement or, for that matter, the FBI, the NSA, the Mafia, the Illuminati, or whatever omniscient imaginary enemies I can conjure. (No, the above examples aren't all imaginary; the imaginary part is that they care sufficiently about me to go to the trouble.)

For real anonymity use a Chaum mix off a web page, accessed through an anon proxy which is accessed through SOCKSChain which is accessed through JAP from Magusnet through HTTHost. Even then, it's not a guarantee. If you don't know how to do that, assume that anyone willing to invest 24 hours will find out who you are.

Unregistered
04-11-2002, 07:23 PM
Hadn't checked this forum in awhile. But upon return I see that I started something "wonderful" by mentioning caller ID and block the blocker. You see, quite by accident, I can contribute something afterall :) Watching everyone come together to figure out stuff is wonderful. Regards, Newbietoo

conspiracynut84
12-10-2006, 04:03 PM
Hi, I'm new here, found this site looking for information on how long ISP kept logs of emails sent and how easy it is for the pigs to get log records from foreign proxies. Anyway, if all the other stuff about blocking your phone number works, you can set up one a free account with Netzero or Juno. This allows you to give complete fake info, and since there is no payment, they cannot ***** back to you. You only have *0 hours a month for each account, but you can set up many different accounts.

Moonbat
12-10-2006, 05:21 PM
What's the point - dialup is the slowest thing ever.

conspiracynut84
12-10-2006, 06:14 PM
Agreed, but if you are trying to do something and remain hidden, then this would be the way to go.