PDA

View Full Version : Fake IP address

Fingers
01-12-2007, 04:29 PM
Is it possible to fake an IP address so that the likes of Overture or AdWords can be fooled?

I have reported a possible fraud with the Police against Yahoo Search Marketing and they are going to look into it.

I am convinced that there will be a way to disguise or fake an IP address so that it shows that it is not coming from a proxy and is there for looking clean and normal.

With thousands of pounds up for grabs per day, there is without doubt motivation for this.

~~smart~fool~~
01-12-2007, 04:53 PM
Yes it can be done.

Getting the police involved is just stupid.

Ezekiel
01-12-2007, 05:43 PM
Is it possible to fake an IP address so that the likes of Overture or AdWords can be fooled?

I have reported a possible fraud with the Police against Yahoo Search Marketing and they are going to look into it.

I am convinced that there will be a way to disguise or fake an IP address so that it shows that it is not coming from a proxy and is there for looking clean and normal.

With thousands of pounds up for grabs per day, there is without doubt motivation for this.

Yes, it is possible. People do it every day.

People use proxies and botnets to 'click' ads. A click through a proxy looks exactly the same as a genuine one unless you decide to port scan individual IP numbers to discover proxy services. With botnets, it's near impossible because they use proprietary command and control systems.

The police can't really help you though. Things have to reach a certain amount of theft for it to be investigated, and it's quite high. It's unlikely you'll catch the people responsible, and even if you did there will be more. Either find a different, more secure plan offered by the advertising service or just stop using them.

~~smart~fool~~
01-12-2007, 08:51 PM
Frauding pay per click has been going on for years and nobody cares. This just means they get more ***** from the people supplying the ad.

The police wont investigate it because its not an issue and cant be proven.

Fingers
01-13-2007, 10:20 AM
Police cant do nothing?

Stupid to go to the police?

There are laws in the UK and thankfully the seriouse fraude squad is not some group of spineless geeks that get together to play darts.

Thanks for the info re the IP address

If you want more info on the subject go here

http://www.webproworld.com/viewtopic.php?t=705*7

~~smart~fool~~
01-13-2007, 04:14 PM
Police cant do nothing?

Stupid to go to the police?

There are laws in the UK and thankfully the seriouse fraude squad is not some group of spineless geeks that get together to play darts.

Thanks for the info re the IP address

If you want more info on the subject go here

http://www.webproworld.com/viewtopic.php?t=705*7

Hahahahahahaha.

Fingers
01-16-2007, 08:33 PM
I would seem that you must have a massive grasp on the full fruition of English Law Mr fool.

Please do enlighten me, please explain exactly why "Getting the police involved is just stupid." ?

Will your reply be some childish nonce as I expect or might you surprize me, your mama and everyone else whom might read this thred in the coming years. ?

Ezekiel
01-17-2007, 11:08 AM
I would seem that you must have a massive grasp on the full fruition of English Law Mr fool.

Please do enlighten me, please explain exactly why "Getting the police involved is just stupid." ?

Will your reply be some childish nonce as I expect or might you surprize me, your mama and everyone else whom might read this thred in the coming years. ?

Nobody cares about click fraud. The only way to stop it is to change the fundamental ways advertising services work, and the police can't do that. Unless you can prove you lost thousands from a few IP addresses of the same ISP, it's really not worth them investigating.

Just stop using per-click advertising if you find this happening regularly.

Troll
01-17-2007, 11:19 AM
In UK law the police can only charge someone with a crime if there's enough evidence. It's almost impossible (and a waste of time/*****) to get enough evidence for this crime.

I'd rather the police sent thier time investigating serious crime than wasting thier time on click fraud. The only thing worth doing is informing Google/Yahoo about it (but they won't care as they profit from click fraud).

Click fraud will only be stopped when pay per click advertising is stopped.

Fingers
01-20-2007, 06:38 AM
I don't think you understand

I am not making a s***estion that our company wants the police to investigate our personal loss.

I am reporting the fraud that a big majority of Yahoo's Partners are scam operations, informing Yahoo of this with evidence is met with deaf ears and paranoia. Because of the way Partners are taken on ***rd proves that there is something very fishy going on and Yahoo are knowingly part of it.

The proof comes from sites like

www.vasoo.com

It is quite easy to prove that it is impossible for this site to generate the amount of traffic needed to produce the amount of click through's our company alone has had from it. There are many many more like vasoo.

Click fraud will only be stopped when pay per click advertising is stopped.

How else do you think it will be stopped? By just shr***ing your shoulders?