PDA

View Full Version : question about keyloggers

rome87
04-12-2007, 04:51 PM
Hi
I have a question the question is if a keylogger server is installed on a remote machine is there any danger tht person could find the server and some how found the smtp addresss of where the log files are being sent to from examing the server.?

regards
Darren

Ezekiel
04-12-2007, 06:27 PM
Hi
I have a question the question is if a keylogger server is installed on a remote machine is there any danger tht person could find the server and some how found the smtp addresss of where the log files are being sent to from examing the server.?

regards
Darren

Yes, if they find it they can search the executable for strings such as '.com' for the e-mail address and SMTP server. On *nix systems, this is easy with grep.

On some occasions where people on this ***rd have posted malicious Trojans, I've found their e-mail address and the URL of the programmers' site.

Also, this should go in the V&T section.

rome87
04-12-2007, 08:38 PM
Yes, if they find it they can search the executable for strings such as '.com' for the e-mail address and SMTP server. On *nix systems, this is easy with grep.

On some occasions where people on this ***rd have posted malicious Trojans, I've found their e-mail address and the URL of the programmers' site.

Also, this should go in the V&T section.
So does tht mean it would take some expert computer user or just a novice or a begginer to find tht info.???
srry no disrepect

Ezekiel
04-13-2007, 05:28 AM
If someone found the executable (not very hard, if their antivirus flags it for them), it wouldn't be hard to find the information. It would be even easier if the software stored log/config files on the computer.