PDA

View Full Version : helppp meeee pls, C++

noob123
05-01-2007, 06:20 PM
Hey, I just started out with C++, I've found some nice books to read online, the problem is they all teach you to program in a console application, not windows so it always opens up command prompt. So my question is do we move onto windows application after we've learnt programming in console? I don't have any knowledge in any other language and what I want to really do is program my own keylogger with a few options( like capturing screenshots, websites visited) etc. All the books I downloaded are very similar so what I want to know is was anyone of you able to program a Remote Administration Tool, virus keylogger after reading a C++ book like Teach yourself C++ in 2* days. Or do you then have to learn programming in windows from the start and learn that, and then networking, and so on on??? I'm not in hurry and I dont mind spending around 5-6 months learning stuff non-stop, about 2 hours a day, but I don't want to be in the end disappointed because I didn't learn enough, so I just need some help on how to start etc. I know I can download some keylogger, but I also just wanna learn to program, and possibly make some other basic programs. I'd really appreciate it if anyone can help here. Some might be stupid questions I know, but I'm just confused because I'm starting out, but I think once I know the answers to some of these questions and learn some basic programming, it will be easier to get things so omg i need some help. Thank you

Ezekiel
05-01-2007, 06:27 PM
For making 'windowed' programs on Windows, we use various functions in the Windows API. Google, and you'll find tutorials like this:

http://www.winprog.org/tutorial/

Most C++ tutorials/books teach you C++ programming, not Windows C++ programming. It's best to learn the language itself first, then learning to write specifically for WIndows will be a lot easier. The core of any application should be independent of any GUI, which is why you should learn about the language basics first. The command-line is used because it's a simple method of output and input, and isn't OS-specific.

noob123
05-01-2007, 07:01 PM
Thanks for the quick reply and the link. So I'll have to learn programming in console application before I can move onto windows. So just a few questions:p , how long do you think it might take? I know it depends on a lot of things, but I still want a general idea since I don't want to spend *-2 years learning just how to code a simple keylogger or a RAT. So say if I finish a book completely which introduces you to C++ and has topics like functions, arrays, pointers, classes, object oriented programming, class string, data structures etc, and assuming I understand most of this stuff, can I then start learning about programs in Windows? And also last question, do you think C++ is a good language to start with if you don't know VB or some other more easier language?

Ezekiel
05-02-2007, 11:28 AM
So I'll have to learn programming in console application before I can move onto windows.

Not exactly; you'll have to learn the C++ language itself, then you can apply this knowledge to either CLI-based (command-line-interface) applications or Windows GUI (graphical user interface) applications.

Eventually, you'll realize that the visual display a program gives is not that important. You should focus on the functionality of your programs, rather than how they look visually.

how long do you think it might take?

It's relative to how intelligent you are and how hard you work. If you have a good knowledge of C++ itself, using the Windows API will be quite easy. If you dive straight into using the Windows API without knowing C++ very well, you'll end up using example code from tutorials because you don't know how it works.

but I still want a general idea since I don't want to spend *-2 years learning just how to code a simple keylogger or a RAT.

Even that might be optimistic for some people. If you would at least consider yourself in the top *0% of the population in terms of intelligence and spend at least a couple of hours reading about C++ and the WIn*2 API every day, I suppose you might be on to building semi-useful and semi-complicated programs within 6 months. Without any prior knowledge, C++ can be difficult to learn; many people giving up.

So say if I finish a book completely which introduces you to C++ and has topics like functions, arrays, pointers, classes, object oriented programming, class string, data structures etc, and assuming I understand most of this stuff, can I then start learning about programs in Windows?

That order of doing things is what I'd s***est, but finishing a book doesn't mean you understand it all and can use it yourself. You should pick up some general computer knowledge elsewhere (if you haven't already), because it helps to know how things work before you control them.

And also last question, do you think C++ is a good language to start with if you don't know VB or some other more easier language?

Avoid VB if you have any sort of interest in learning about computers. It is designed for ultra-rapid application development, and makes it simple to program. If you want to make Windows applications and don't have any interest in becoming a hacker (or using any other languages, really), I suppose it has its uses.

In other words, choose VB if you want quick, flashy applications without learning about how it works.

noob123
05-02-2007, 02:48 PM
:)

Thanks a lot, really helpful post, I was confused with somethings but I'm sure this clears up everything. As far saying I wanted to learn fast, I was assuming in summer when I have no school, I will be able to put as much time as I want around 7-8 hours maybe instead of 2-* now, so that will help a lot. But it still depends I guess how fast I can learn, so let's see. But you answered everything I didn't know so thanks again.