PDA

View Full Version : Email Spoofing in DOS by Moonbat

Moonbat
06-20-2007, 05:05 PM
Well, let's get started then. Well in order to fake (spoof) an email, you first need to have an SMTP (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol) server that you can use to send the email from. How do you find one? Simple :D

First decide what server you want to use to send email from, for this example I will use Hotmail. Now go to Start --> Run --> Type the word 'cmd' without the '

Now that you have DOS open, type the following command:

nslookup -querytype=mx hotmail.com

You can replace hotmail.com with whatever site's mail servers you want to use. Anyway, when you execute that command, the following output comes out:

Non-authoritative answer:
hotmail.com MX preference = 5, mail exchanger = mx2.hotmail.com
hotmail.com MX preference = 5, mail exchanger = mx*.hotmail.com
hotmail.com MX preference = 5, mail exchanger = mx4.hotmail.com
hotmail.com MX preference = 5, mail exchanger = mx*.hotmail.com

The SMTP servers are mx2.hotmail.com, mx*.hotmail.com, etc. Now, for the next part of the tutorial, I will be using mx2.hotmail.com.

Now, let's get started spoofing the actual email! You still have DOS open right, good. Now type the following command to connect with Hotmail's SMTP server. You can replace the server name with your preferred server.

telnet mx2.hotmail.com 25

You will see whatever welcome message they give. Now type the following command:

HELO

You'll get a message, usually with your IP. Now the next command shows what email you want to pretend to be sending from. I'll use the fake email lala@lala.org

MAIL FROM: lala@lala.org

You should get a 250 OK. Now we will type a command to choose who we want the email to go to. I will use the fake email blah@blah.com

RCPT TO: blah@blah.com

Now you get another 250 OK. Now we will start the actual message. Type:

DATA

Then type your message. Be sure to add title headers, like Subject, To, From, etc. so the email looks real. After you are done typing the email, press Enter, then type a . then press Enter again. Your email has been sent!

Now type quit to end the connection to the server.

That's all for now, hope you learned something!
~Moonbat

sbitius
10-07-2007, 06:20 AM
i cant conect telnet mx2.hotmail.com 25

Ezekiel
10-07-2007, 10:54 AM
Worked for me:

$ telnet mx2.hotmail.com 25
Trying 65.54.244.40...
Connected to mx2.hotmail.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 bay0-mc6-f*5.bay0.hotmail.com Sending unsolicited commercial or bulk e-mail to Microsoft's computer network is prohibited. Other restrictions are found at http://privacy.msn.com/Anti-spam/. Violations will result in use of equipment located in California and other states. Sun, 7 Oct 2007 07:52:26 -0700

The most likely case is that you have a shitty ISP that blocks all connections on port 25. I'd consider switching to an ISP that allows you to use the service you've paid for in whatever way you desire.

sbitius
10-07-2007, 10:44 PM
mike i cant conect maybe i am with windows2000 but i have and * question can we conect via telenet to hotmail ibox mesages (can we read the leters) thnx for reply

Ezekiel
10-08-2007, 11:31 AM
i have and * question can we conect via telenet to hotmail ibox mesages (can we read the leters) thnx for reply

Unfortunately for you, no. Messages are retrieved on an entirely different port and protocol to SMTP (the standard is port **0 for POP*, or port *4* for IMAP), and to read messages from someone's inbox, you need their password.

sbitius
10-08-2007, 09:46 PM
ok mike what about if i try to read my mesages i make uestion for me not to read others messages o i need to know can we read our messages in hotmail via telnet so can you or read your hotmail leters via telnet have your trey that thnx for answer mike

Ezekiel
10-09-2007, 10:52 AM
ok mike what about if i try to read my mesages i make uestion for me not to read others messages o i need to know can we read our messages in hotmail via telnet so can you or read your hotmail leters via telnet have your trey that thnx for answer mike

Not in standard Hotmail accounts, since they only provide webmail (no SMTP, POP or IMAP access).

If you have an email provider that gives you access to these services, yeah, you could read your messages via POP or IMAP if you connected to the port they use and issue the right commands (according to the protocol) to read/manipulate your emails.

I don't really see the point though, apart from looking badass reading your emails through telnet.

Gridlock
11-10-2007, 03:04 PM
hey there. ive been browing around for a couple days now. so i thought id register..

i tried doing this just now. and this is as far as i got.

HELO
250 bay0-mc**-f*8.bay0.hotmail.com <*.4.0.*7> Hello [myip]
silver@theway.org
500 Unrecognized command

how come it came up with the unrec command?

EDIT: ahh i see. i think its cause i missed out the MAIL FROM:
2nd EDIT: nope... its not cause of that.. im still getting the 500

Ezekiel
11-10-2007, 08:14 PM
telnet mx*.hotmail.com
HELO hotmail.com
MAIL FROM: admin@fbi.gov
RCPT TO: someone@hotmail.com
DATA

To: someone@hotmail.com
Subject: lol

Example, lol

Noodles
11-12-2007, 12:19 AM
i connected and everything, until it gave me a meesage that hotmail doesnt allow this application for resident IP and dynamic IPs...etc. not exactly word by word, but in the lines of it.

Ezekiel
11-12-2007, 04:06 AM
i connected and everything, until it gave me a meesage that hotmail doesnt allow this application for resident IP and dynamic IPs...etc. not exactly word by word, but in the lines of it.

Yeah, I've tried it before and Hotmail only allows mail from static IP addresses. This is because legitimate SMTP servers are almost always going to have a static IP address, and home ISP users won't.

I think most of the other mail services allow mail from all IP addresses.

the_storm
12-08-2007, 10:14 PM
hi i tried to get smtp server for hotmail but i can't
when i type nslookup -querytype=mx hotmail.com
i see
Server: SpeedTouch.lan
Address: *0.0.0.**8

*** SpeedTouch.lan can't find hotmail.com: Not implemented

what is problem :S :(

Moonbat
12-09-2007, 10:45 AM
Wierd. Um, this is a dumb question, but do you have admin privleges on the computer you are using?

Ezekiel
12-14-2007, 02:25 PM
Doesn't look like your router has a DNS server (or redirection) inbuilt.

Moonbat
12-14-2007, 08:11 PM
He could use OpenDNS (208.67.222.222)

sunken
12-22-2007, 08:40 PM
i can connect using telnet>open mx2.hotmail.com 25 and this is the answer:
220 bay0-mc*0-f*.bay0.hotmail.com Sending unsolicited commercial or bulk e-mail
to Microsoft's computer network is prohibited. Other restrictions are found at h
ttp://privacy.msn.com/Anti-spam/. Violations will result in use of equipment loc
ated in California and other states. Sat, 22 Dec 2007 *7:*0:42 -0800
and then it replies to helo and i can use mail from:hello@hotmail.com and rcpt to:hello2@hotmail.com and data and write the mails but i cant close the writing and send the email using a as you sayso it answers: start mail input;end with <CRLF>.<CRLF> and i dont know what is that <CRLF>shit. any ideas

Moonbat
12-23-2007, 10:24 AM
CRLF stands for carriage-return/line-feed. When you see <CRLF> all that means to you is to press Enter. So

<CRLF>.<CRLF>
really means is

// press Enter to end up on the next line
. // type your period on this line then press Enter again
Oh, by the way, // designates comments, don't type them :D

sunken
12-25-2007, 05:57 PM
i could send the messages but using a different domain for the server that im using

thanx dude its was really amusing and educational

lol

jessesnail1
12-25-2007, 06:02 PM
when i try to put MAIL FROM: watever adress it says 50* invalid adress

Ezekiel
12-26-2007, 07:49 AM
You have to send the HELO or EHLO command before all that.

coz
01-04-2008, 05:20 PM
Most servers do not allow this anymore. To find one you can usually scan for open mail relays. Very cool for messing with someone and usually totally untraceable. Mail relays are a spammers best friend. Another type thats untraceable is the web based email.

teknicalissue
01-04-2008, 06:43 PM
can't connect anyone know why? i just get

blah blah blah on port 25: connect failed

Moonbat
01-04-2008, 08:56 PM
Most popular email services (Hotmail, Yahoo!, Gmail, etc.) don't allow this sort of mail sending on their servers anymore.

teknicalissue
01-04-2008, 10:25 PM
you know of anyone that does?

Moonbat
01-05-2008, 01:20 PM
I don't know of any that work, I just use online anon mail senders. Here's a nice list:

http://www.dmoz.org/Computers/Internet/E-mail/Anonymous_Mailers/

teknicalissue
01-05-2008, 02:04 PM
awsome thx

peregrine
02-29-2008, 01:30 PM
i get to the rcpt:adress .
and it just keeps saying relaying denied what does that mean

Moonbat
02-29-2008, 03:41 PM
The mail server must be blocking you from sending mail. Try another server.

peregrine
03-04-2008, 07:09 AM
i tried quite a few and they just said "proper authentication required" is their any way round this. Or is their anyway to find a vulnerable server,
for Ethical reasons.

Ezekiel
03-04-2008, 01:48 PM
Just did some testing, and it seems email providers now only allow "trusted" IP addresses to send mail to their users. Gmail seemed to use some sort of whitelist of SMTP servers that it likes, and hotmail rejected IP addresses allocated by ISPs, I guess.

peregrine
03-05-2008, 04:53 AM
is there any one that wont reject us. There must be some sort of g** classified list of servers that let u send email through cmd i have tried quite a few and none of them work

(FAILURE TO PREPARE,PREPARE TO FAIL)

Moonbat
03-05-2008, 06:10 PM
I've searched for a while now, and I have yet to find one. You can try spoofing your IP to that of a trusted SMTP server and then sending mail, but I can't guarantee it'll work.

peregrine
03-05-2008, 07:03 PM
i have no idear how to pull of that sly trick inside cmd (if it works, which would make this a glorious day). I think we should do some research and if it works, we could start a new topic (email spoofing in dos part 2).have you ever tried that trick moonbat and how would i start or look for g** information like that.

"WHERE THERE'S A WILL THERE'S A WAY"

coz
03-05-2008, 07:35 PM
I've spoofed my ip with nmap but the problem with that is when you do the computer your talking to will only respond to that ip. So none of the traffic will come back to you. I would love to find a good reason to spoof an ip other than flooding/DOS stuff. Anyone know of one?

Moonbat
03-05-2008, 10:07 PM
I've spoofed my ip with nmap but the problem with that is when you do the computer your talking to will only respond to that ip. So none of the traffic will come back to you. I would love to find a good reason to spoof an ip other than flooding/DOS stuff. Anyone know of one?
I'm not sure about spoofing IPs would help in anything, but I know that sometimes when trying to crack a network's WEP key you may have to spoof the MAC address of your computer.

@peregrine - This link may help - http://www.governmentsecurity.org/archive/t***5.html

Like I said, I've never tried this IP spoofing technique to try to send mail, so I'm not sure if it'll work.

peregrine
03-06-2008, 09:03 AM
Its ok ive finaly sent an email in dos through google the problem was the rcpt has to be a real person silly me. I was wondering can you add attachments to the mail you are sending moonbat?

Moonbat
03-06-2008, 03:47 PM
I'm not sure of this, but I'm thinking no. SMTP, as far as I know, can only relay messages, and not send files. But I'll look into it and see if it's possible.