PDA

View Full Version : cable modem/ proxy configuration

sigkim
09-10-2002, 06:21 PM
Let me state that I have looked for days on how to use a proxy with cable modem. I have tried google searches and cable modem info groups, these of which deal mostly with accessing university libraries or useing theire private proxys. The info groups mostly deal with networking multiple computers to share the same modem connection. I know how to use a proxy with a dial up and it should work the same with the LAN settings. I'm at my wits end so I post here:)
I use cox cable in Tucson Az/windows *8se. IE and or Opera(latest version).
I have tried to use the various proxys from sites like Proxys4all, junkbusters, atomintersoft and a few more. I've tried at least *0 different proxys each from these various sites with only one working and that didn't last very long.
In the Connections tab I have "never dial a connection"checked" and in the LAN settings I enter the proxy **5.2*.56.2 (example).......then the port: number8000,8080,**26, (example). Use proxy server IS checked...."automatically detect settings" and use automatic configuration script" are UNchecked.

Is there more that I have to do somewhere else?
Any s***estions or refferals to other sites dealing with this would be the cat's ass because I have looked everywhere.

Thanks so much and happy surfing.

I would like to impliment previous advice from DATA and not use ports in the 8000 range but right now any proxy would be better than nothing at all:(

Sigkim(newestnewbie)

P.S has anybody else had problems useing proxies with cable modem?

Unreggie
09-12-2002, 12:58 PM
You can enable a SOCKS proxy (port *080) in MSIE even with a cable connection. Don't know about other browsers.

SOCKS is the key to success.

sigkim
09-12-2002, 06:11 PM
Hello Unreggie, thanks for your reply. I haven't read very much on socks proxies but I will now.

Last night (in a dreary state) I read an old post that stated some cable companies overide browser settings for Netscape navigator (no mention of IE) and will overide proxie settings. (how rude).

I am useing Internet Explorer:(...as well as Opera :) and I'll try the socks proxy with both of them. If I have success I'll post the particulars here for others......Lots of googling to do so thank you for the information and we'll see what happens:)!

Have a good day everyone.

Sigkim(proxyless newbie)