PDA

View Full Version : Benchmark Standards

SyntaXmasteR
08-12-2007, 03:28 PM
I wanted to get your opinion on some software I just finished putting together. I would like it to eventually become a new addition to the standards for measuring benchmarks for computer performance.

When computer performance is measured a user is required to display CPU, RAM, MOBO, ETC... I wrote this software as an easy way to show/tweak a computers windows service configuration. These configurations make a difference when you get into detailed benchmarks and I feel they should also be given when a benchmark is set.

Please check out:
http://www.syntax******.info/tools/services.php

!(Windows XP ONLY)!
Register an account, Run the Key Generator that creates a default key based on your current configuration, then play around with the possible tweaks and provide feedback. Purposes of script:

*. IT professionals could use this to generate starup scripts for active directory.
2. Gamers could tweak their comptuers for max resource allocation
*. A new standard could be easily implemented for benchmarks.

I would appreciate any feedback to better this tool before I release it. This tool is currently written for XP, but I am making the nessesary changes to include vista. Sorry, but this is the only URL I am allowing access to at this time until a full security backend is created.

Ezekiel
08-12-2007, 05:21 PM
Welcome back! I can't remember if you were around when these changes happened, but in case you didn't know, I got my username changed a while back and Moonbat became a moderator.

I also started my own site (http://www.exoteric.ws/), which has sort of died now.

I'd test this software, but Wine doesn't seem to like it and my install of Vista just lags annoyingly when I use it. It's cool to see that you're working on some new projects though.

SyntaXmasteR
08-12-2007, 07:03 PM
Ohhh yeah, definitely working on many projects. Learned so much in the past few years, so I think its time to share a little bit of what I've taken in and to help out those that want to learn.

I'm slowly trying to put everything together for the site. I've created a custom backend security system on a user level, and site-wide level where it can put itself into safe mode if too many flags are thrown at once. Bunch of crazy new concepts but lots of fun stuff.

I look at some of my old code and wow, what was I thinking?? lol Guess that will always happen as you learn more. Well its good to jump back into the forums, hopefully I can stop by more often.

Ezekiel
08-12-2007, 07:21 PM
Looks like we've got a really strong moderating team now, especially if D. Parker approves the two I recommended as well. I was thinking this site was dead a few days ago.

Mike, I can't sign up for your site. Something about an IP address problem. I've tried in 4 different locations.

Two new members, awesome.

I'll probably need the error message to see what's going wrong. I'm constantly changing code for the site, and I don't really get time to check things like registration without messing up the database.

My site's totally experimental right now, it's worth noting. I'm a one-man team working on my own funds, and I only have a couple of years of PHP knowledge. This is my first proper website, aside from some freelance bug-fixing. Sometimes I look at my thousands of lines of code and think: wtf.

Ezekiel
08-12-2007, 07:53 PM
Ah, it was some retarded coding on my end:

if(mysql_num_rows($checkConfirmationCodeResult))
{
TidyPageError($renderStage, "Error", "No account has that confirmation code.");
}

Changed to:

if(!mysql_num_rows($checkConfirmationCodeResult))
{
TidyPageError($renderStage, "Error", "No account has that confirmation code.");
}

Try it now.

SyntaXmasteR
08-12-2007, 08:17 PM
And I thought I was the only one that coded in that format.

if(!(blah==blah))
{
do this
}

I drove some programmers mad with that format for some reason. I did noticed how much space that took up when I wrote a shopping cart taking 4000 lines of code. I made myself get in the habit of formating my statements like this:

if(!(blah==blah)){
do this
}else{
do this
}

Well my registration Hash was accepted, so all is good.

Any comments on the idea of listing a service key for benchmarking? Just thought of it last week because of how much bloat some services add, especially those like the indexing. If you turn off indexing you will get an instant boost. I'm running on an old P4 machine, so I need all the resources I can squeeze out of my *.7 GHZ Metro car of processors.

ray02945
08-13-2007, 12:08 AM
Data too long for column 'browser' at row *
i cant really understand this

Ezekiel
08-13-2007, 06:35 AM
XML Parsing Error: mismatched tag. Expected: </div>.
Line Number *82, Column *:</p>

I get that after an incorrect login.

Fixed.

---*0charlimit---