PDA

View Full Version : clueless newbie needs help!!!

Unregistered
10-11-2002, 08:34 AM
Hello there,

I'm hoping that someone here can give me some advice regarding security measures on my PC.

Please excuse my lack of knowledge here regarding PCs and PC lingo!

I have a few questions, but I'm just going to start with this one.

Would it be ok to download two different brands of Security System Discs? The first one that I downloaded says (after scanning for info about my "security risks") that there are some holes in my security system and now I need to download a firewall. So, I went out and purchased a pretty extensive (I think) Security disc that includes an advanced firewall.

Now, before I download it I want to be sure that there will be no problem combining the two different brands on my system. Might they work against one another? I am really clueless.

Thanks in advance for any advice offered!

Unregistered
10-11-2002, 10:58 AM
You need to be a little more specific about the software you intend to install, any security software you have installed now, and what Operating System you are installing it on.

Unregistered
10-11-2002, 03:28 PM
You need to be a little more specific about the software you intend to install, any security software you have installed now, and what Operating System you are installing it on.

Okay, sorry about that! I now have System Works by Norton Symantec. I am using two seperate PC's. One is a Hewlett Packard PC with a modem and I use a LAN to connect to the internet via MSN and I have Windows Me on that.

the other is a laptop manufactured by vpr matrix (a BestBuy Company) and on this I have a different MSN dial-up connection to the net and use Windows XP.

The new software that I have purchased but have not yet opened is called SystemSuite Version 4.0 by On*****. It has a lot of the same security measures that Symantec has, except this one has a firewall. So, I'm wondering should I go ahead and download this to compliment my other security measures or should I stick with the same brand and try to find a firewall type security by Symantec?

Whatta ya think?

Thanks again!!

Unregistered
10-13-2002, 12:37 PM
I'm not familiar with SystemSuite Version 4.0 by On***** but I do use SystemWorks.

I don't know if the On***** program will interfere with SystemWorks or not since they probably do similar things. If it was me I would return it if I could and go with Norton Internet Security. It includes their firewall and has browser privacy and ad blocking features On***** might not have. I know it gets along with SystemWorks.

Unregistered
10-13-2002, 04:20 PM
Thanks!!!

Bella