PDA

View Full Version : The PHP Gods Have Spoken

JayT
09-14-2007, 02:35 AM
The Gods have spoken!

As of the end of this year, PHP 4 is officially no longer supported.

Support for PHP 4 will be discontinued at 2007-*2-**.

I just installed PHP 5.2.4 on my system.

Of course, everything exploded.

LOL

I have some major program rewriting to do so my programs work correctly on v5.

$HTTP_POST_VARS[ ] is no longer available in PHP 5.

They changed it to $_POST[ ] in the newer version.

Any programs using it have to be modified accordingly.

Sometimes I hate upgrades!

:)

Ezekiel
09-14-2007, 03:29 PM
$HTTP_POST_VARS[ ] is no longer available in PHP 5.

That's a good thing.

JayT
09-14-2007, 05:51 PM
That's a good thing.

Sadist!

LOL

What's good about having to rewrite a quillion pages all over my web site?

Many of my pages are interactive and use $HTTP_POST_VARS[ ] extensively.

Another problem is that I have two web sites - one is (was) an exact mirror of the other - and one site uses PHP 4.4.6 and the other updated PHP 5.2.4, which suddenly rendered the bulk of my site incompatible. Now I can't simply copy my pages to both sites at the same time because they are no longer compatible with both hosts.

Each site was to act as a backup. If for any reason one host was not working for some reason, the mirror site would still be working.

That complicates what used to be simple.

PHP is obviously the work of Satan!
LOL

Ezekiel
09-15-2007, 06:37 AM
Sadist!

LOL

What's good about having to rewrite a quillion pages all over my web site?

I personally prefer $_POST et al, but I don't get pleasure from hearing of your impending hard work.

My advice is to use the 'replace' menu function in your text editor instead of doing it all manually.

JayT
09-15-2007, 02:06 PM
I personally prefer $_POST et al, but I don't get pleasure from hearing of your impending hard work.

My advice is to use the 'replace' menu function in your text editor instead of doing it all manually.

I obtained a program called TextPad.

I can select and load numerous PHP files at the same time and batch convert the POST string replacement in all the files at once and then save them all back to disk in a few simple clicks.

Whew!

At least it's not as bad as I thought it would be at first. Initially, I didn't know I could use the search/replace function on multiple files at the same time.

Now the biggest problem I have is the fact that my mirror site and my main site use incompatible versions of PHP, so the programs have to be written differently for each site. At least for a while, I need to make two different versions of everything.

I also prefer the shorter versions of POST/GET. That's the way it should have been in the first place!