PDA

View Full Version : Pirates

bluetack
11-05-2007, 01:12 PM
Hi wise ones,

How might IFPI, BSA or similar organisations find me? I find a torrent with my favourite ***** or a piece of ‘cracked’ software and I download it. How do they know I have done that?

Of course they could set up a site with stuff on and capture my IP address when I download but that’s a bit of blunt instrument. Have they got any smarter methods of finding me? What can I do to avoid being found?

Mike

Moonbat
11-05-2007, 05:10 PM
With the millions of millions of people doing the same thing as you, they're not going to waste time to find you in particular, unless you start selling the stuff you torrent, then you'll raise a red flag. Otherwise you should be safe.

~~smart~fool~~
11-05-2007, 07:49 PM
They may know you have done it but dont care.

BarbblerElf
11-06-2007, 06:07 PM
They don't really care about one person. What they want is to shut down the whole torrent. I think I remember seeing or hearing something on the news about the owner of a torrent site being arrested and sentenced to prison for 20 years. I can't be too sure, it might have been a dream. ^_^ My dreams are strangely realistic so sometimes I can't tell the difference when I try to remember something. ^_^

Ezekiel
11-06-2007, 06:50 PM
If you run your client on a non-standard port (forwarded to your LAN IP), fully encrypt all data, use IP-blocking software such as Peerguardian and use avoid dubious torrent sites, you have very little chance of getting detected.

Even if you were, the most you'd be likely to receive is an email telling you to stop pirating. They are after the private FTP groups, the videocam guys, the people that sell pirated content, the people that share pirated content on a large scale, and so on.

So many people pirate stuff; it's just not worth their time to target the small guys.

~~smart~fool~~
11-06-2007, 06:52 PM
Torrentspy got shut down by the United States :D

Ezekiel
11-06-2007, 06:55 PM
Torrentspy got shut down by the United States :D

Heh, I can still access it. I don't though, since they've lost my trust.

It's pretty simple to bypass though -- they are just a search site; not a *****er. All you'd have to do is get the .torrent file you want through a proxy, then let everything work as normal (with no proxy) in your Bittorrent client.