PDA

View Full Version : Sympa

Unregistered
12-24-2002, 06:38 AM
Hi Fever
Thanks again for the sympa software :)
Having some problem with error message *0057---socket not connected
This happens when trying to use the anon function--but is happening even when i have sucessfully tested elsewhere like stillistener for an anon proxywith my browser. Also the proxy test fails for this otherwise working proxy
Is sympa looking for something different than a browser is looking for for anon function and what should i be looking for in my proxies to make things work
Non anonymous function works ok---and unfortunately so did a proxy that gave up my ip number
Another example--I can use proxomitron with anon tested proxies from within proxomitron for web browsing but when i enter localhost :8080 as proxy with sympa with same proxies get a this is not a working proxy message
Are the proxies rejecting sympa? --or are there special mail proxies ?
Tried with firewall disabled and no difference
Can you offer some advise please

fEš·.·šEr
12-24-2002, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Unregistered
Hi Fever
Thanks again for the sympa software :)
Having some problem with error message *0057---socket not connected
Are the proxies rejecting sympa? --or are there special mail proxies ?
Tried with firewall disabled and no difference
Can you offer some advise please

===========================================
Hi

this is the situation with SYMPA when using the ANON mode.

Because you are a Proxomitron user (great softaware) you will understand the concept.
The proxies that are available, provide the feature to give a redirection to HTTP connection.

For example if you connect via Proxomitron to a proxy ***.222.255.255:8080 you would expect that this proxy ***.222.255.255 would give you access to HTTP sites (port 80)
you can therefore go to www.cnn.com or www.anystuff.com (which is in fact www.anystuff.com:80) but here in this case the ":80" is automatically added and you do not have to type it.

Some very few proxies would also give access to ******* sites
HTTPS (http protocol over TLS/SSL port 44*) so you would expect that the proxy ***.222.255.255:8080 will grant you access to https://www.my******accountcard.com:44*

As you know, SMTP servers (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol) use only port 25. (not 80 nor 44*)
SYMPA will ONLY look to find proxies that will grant acces to port 25
therefore proxies that grant acces to port 80 or 44* are useless in this case.

Unfortunately, Most proxies are not configured to grant access to port 25, hince the difficulties to find a working proxy for SYMPA.

So, to give a direct answer to your question:
the "*0057---socket not connected" is not a bug, it is the returned message to confirm that there was no anonymous connection .

The proxies are not rejecting SYMPA, they simply cannot provide the tunneling to port 25 cause their respective sysadmin didn't allow that. They might however be greatly working with port 80 or 44*, but it wouldn't help to connect to SMTP servers (port 25).

DO not modify anything on your Firewall, it has no effect.

It is not easy to find working proxies with the tunneling feature to port 25..
continue checking the updated list on my site.

-----------
fEš·.·šEr

Unregistered
12-25-2002, 09:11 PM
Thanks again Fever
Hope I am not taking up too much of your time and if you prefer I contact you some other way please let me know
Further to above --I downloaded *00 proxies ---tested *0 that were anonymous to my ip nbr and my isp main nbr ---in other words they use a general proxy or a central number -but there is also a sub ip number which is my machine at that moment in time --either of those can show up in a proxy check
Of the *0 I found * that sympa said was a working proxy ---but unfortunately at that time it gave back a *0054--connection reset and later a range check error message

Can you advise about this --I will test that number again later --nice to find one that has all * requirements--though i did find * or 2 that worked perfectly when first trying a month ago --lol--beginners luck :)

fEš·.·šEr
12-26-2002, 05:19 PM
Hi,

You are welcome, and you are not taking any of my time..

The site hosting my web page (virtualave.net) is down!
therefore I couldn't update the proxy list.

Why don't you try these 2 proxies, it looks they work fine (so far)

*4*640**22:**28
proxy2*.ath.cx:**28

btw, version 2.0** will be released soon, the modifications concern mostly the Chat part, colored text, faster protocol, file transfers feature and some bug fixes etc..

take care

------------
fEš·.·šEr