PDA

View Full Version : News Groups and IP Addresses

Unregistered
01-03-2003, 10:37 AM
Hi

I have a general question . I use WinXP and therefor use Outlook Express to access the odd newsgroup now and then . First off , I`m not posting or doing anything wrong there. But it did come to my attention the other day that when you highlight the properties on my post , my IP is there for all to see . I clicked on about 50 "properties" from other posters and not one of them revealed the posters IP . Why mine ? I run Symantec Firewall ( for whatever thats worth ) . Its not like I need to worry about N/G`s like alt.autos or stuff , but I`m not liking that info. to be posted , especially when everyone elses isnt . Any solutions or opinions ? Thanks !!

Jeff

dm567
01-04-2003, 08:36 PM
good question. I'd like to be part of this thread also.

Piexa
01-05-2003, 11:17 AM
What I'm posting is based purely upon speculation, here, but it seems unlikely that, out of 50 other profiles, you would be the only one running XP with the configuration set up the way you have it, therefore revealing your IP address. 50 profiles is a large "test group" to not have even ONE other person's IP address show up in (in fact, many people don't give any regard, at all, to internet privacy or firewalls, etc. and they should, theoretically, be even more "exposed" than you are).

I'm wondering if it may, instead, be something that only you, as the poster originating from that IP, can see...that perhaps everyone can see their own IP in their Properties, but no one else can?

Try clearing out your caches, initiate a proxy so you have a different IP, create a new identity and re-subscribe to that newsgroup with the different identity. Then, check the properties of your first identity's profile to see if you can see the IP address, maybe that will help?

Just a thought...good luck!

~Piexa