PDA

View Full Version : Firewall glitch?

Piexa
04-11-2003, 12:16 AM
Hello, friends!

Wondering if anyone's ever had this happen, or your thoughts on what might be the problem...

I'm running Tiny PF on one of my computers. Windoze got hung up and I had to do a hard shutdown (but, it's not the first time it's ever happened...and I'm sure it won't be the last...it's Windoze, after all). When it came back up, everything with an outgoing connection had to be re-verified though the firewall. Something happened that made my firewall "forget" all of its connection rules.

Any ideas?

Thanks and take care!
~ Piexa

fEš·.·šEr
04-11-2003, 11:21 AM
Hi Piexa

if your box is a Win*x, it's possible to be a VXD driver deallocated due to poor amount of RAM memory.
NT kernel versions (NT, W2K, XP) cannot work and does not use *.vxd (virtual driver) files.
they rather use *.sys

Another possibility would be a conflict between two firewalls

I had a heavy lunch, can't figure out other eventualities :D

-----------
fEš·.·šEr

Piexa
04-14-2003, 10:30 PM
As always, thank you fEš·.·šEr...I think you hit the nail on the head. That particular box (yep, a *x box) is only running one firewall, so unless you stop eating heavy lunches and think of something else that might have caused it, I think you're right about the .vxd driver deallocation...especially since it is, indeed, running little lean on RAM.

Speaking of lean, what's for lunch today? :D

Take care and thanks again!

~ Piexa