PDA

View Full Version : chatrooms

Unregistered
04-11-2003, 10:13 AM
I was wondering if you are chatting in a applet chat room can others find your IP address? because once i was in a chat and someone said they knew my ip address thank you

fEš·.·šEr
04-11-2003, 11:14 AM
Hi

It is always possible to make your 'real IP' identified, one way or another..
Proxies ARE NOT available for all ports, neither for all protcols..
while it is possible to proxy a TCP connection to an HTTP site port 80, it is still more difficult to proxy a TCP connection to an HTTPS site port 44* and it is NOT POSSIBLE to proxy a UDP connection..

Anyway, the point is not here, the most important point is why are we affraid to show our real IP, what is this paranoia always hiding and masking the IP (except the economical potential for proxy software manufacturers)

knowing that for dynamic IP users, the IP or at least the last * significant digits will change at every connection...
if you have nothing to worry about, what difference does it make if your IP is hidden or not?? so what, let them see it..

------------
fEš·.·šEr

Unregistered
04-11-2003, 02:33 PM
Thank you for your reply! What exactly does a IP show?just the server name?
thank you again

fEš·.·šEr
04-11-2003, 04:04 PM
Hi

An IP (In IPv4 representation) will show something like this
***.222.*2*.2*2 (IP range from 0.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.255)

soon IPv6 will be also available as the existing format seems to be saturated !!

If a DNSResolving is possible, the other party will also see the name like for exp (uunet.dial.*.22.dsl.com)

-----------
fEš·.·šEr

Unregistered
04-11-2003, 11:15 PM
Thank You Fever,You have been most informative.

DATA
04-14-2003, 03:10 AM
hi,

I was wondering if you are chatting in a applet chat room can others find your IP address? because once i was in a chat and someone said they knew my ip address thank you

It doesnt matter if you do or donot use an applet chat room-it revelas the same ip.

Regards Data.

Unregistered
05-13-2003, 09:12 PM
Well it actualy depends on what IRC server you are connecting to with the applet. IP's of all clients connecting to my network are encrypted server side so that other clients can not see anyones IP other than there own.

DATA
05-14-2003, 02:52 AM
yes thats true.Part of the ip is some times masked by some irc servers to prevent attacks and promote privacy.
But the ip shown on mirc or using an applet will be the same.

Data.