PDA

View Full Version : Cain + Abel questions. LAN sniffer.

whiterosetom
11-11-2008, 05:25 PM
Hello forum :-) Apologies if this is in the wrong section as it's more intranet privacy...

I've just started having a bit of a play around with cain and abel on my home LAN. Watched a lot of youtube tutorials etcetera and got going. Does what it says on the tin really, but something has got me curious. Worryingly, it will tell me my ebay logon details in plain text, but the likes of facebook, internet email and forums are not compromised by it. So, what's the difference? Why does one work and not the other?

Quite worrying software, significantly upgraded my wireless protection after a bit of research on this. I'd advise anyone else to do same!

Cheers all

WRT

MrByte
11-13-2008, 07:16 AM
My guess is that in some cases, your logon info is sent over HTTPS, in other cases over HTTP. That's what makes the difference. HTTPS is SSL-encrypted.

You may also want to take a look at this program: http://www.all-nettools.com/network-protocol-analyzer-20/netresident-20456.htm . While Cain + Abel is focused on retreiving you passwords, NetResident is focused on visualizing the network content being sent over your LAN. This includes Web pages, e-mails, IM chats, and even VoIP conversations.