PDA

View Full Version : Firewall

Unregistered
07-22-2003, 08:45 PM
Hi, I recently setup a little IRC Server on my computer, just to fool around and get use to Oper commands. One problem though, nobody outside of my LAN can connect to my server. I set up a free domain that will relay to my IP address if someone types it in. The IP I'm having it relay to is my real IP address, because all the IP detection websites say thats the IP I'm connecting from (even if I ping my hostmask).

But, on my computer it says my IP is a different address? I've used both to relay to my IRC server, only one works with my LAN (the one my computer detects). The other that all the IP detection sites detect, doesnt work on my LAN or if someone else tries to connect.

I'm pretty sure its my firewall thats not letting them connect .. I have no clue what type of firewall I have (some guy installed it for me). It hooks up to my DSL box, and all my computers on my LAN hook up to it. If you can give me a command that will tell me more about my firewall, I'll post it here.

Thanks for any help.

Unregistered
07-23-2003, 12:32 AM
After much pain and what not, I figured it out :)

DATA
07-23-2003, 02:41 AM
HI,

If u want ppl on the internet to be able to connect u need to use a public ip,with in the lan (which are private ip addresses) only the computers in the local network can access it.

Regards Data.

fEš·.·šEr
07-25-2003, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Unregistered
Hi, I recently setup a little IRC Server on my computer...................One problem though, nobody outside of my LAN can connect to my server.................

Hi everyone

Your computer is part of a LAN, you should have an internal IP assigned to you (not reachable from outside) that should look like this **2.*68.x.x

If you installed a server on you PC to listen at port (example) 6666 then you need to ask the admin to allow the LAN firewall to listen as well to the same port and route them to you.

Here's a detailed example

let's assume that the LAN is reachable from outside with a static IP (example) 60.70.80.*0
Let's also assume that your internal IP in this LAN is **2.*68.5.66
Any client that wishes to connect to your server should call
60.70.80.*0:6666
The firewall should allow trafic at this port (example 6666) and also allow the appropriate protocol TCP or UDP ...
A routing must be also setup to redirect this trafic to the internal IP **2.*68.5.66

Internet <----------> 60.70.80.*0:6666 <------> **2.*68.5.66:xxx

In all cases, If you are the admin of this network, you would definitely understand what i am talking about.
If not, you need by all means to get the help of the admin to open for you port 6666 otherwise, no chance.

take care

-----------
fEš·.·šEr

DATA
07-26-2003, 03:37 AM
If not, you need by all means to get the help of the admin to open for you port 6666 otherwise, no chance.

We can use any port >*024 can't we?

I have seen lots of irc servers running on lots of port numbers.

Regards Data.

fEš·.·šEr
07-26-2003, 05:36 AM
Originally posted by DATA
We can use any port >*024 can't we?

I have seen lots of irc servers running on lots of port numbers.

Regards Data.
=========================================
Hi DATA

How things are going these days?

As a matter of fact, port 6666 was ONLY quoted as a simple example.
Any un-reserved port would do the job.

take care

----------
fEš·.·šEr

DATA
07-27-2003, 03:38 AM
Exam time :-)

Data.