PDA

View Full Version : HouseCall - free online antiviryus scanner

mbravo
07-23-2003, 05:14 AM
I wonder how many users out there know about HouseCall - a free, web-based virus scanner offered by TrendMicro. It doesn't offer any real-time protection - that is, it doesn't monitor your computer all the time, but if you want to check for viruses already present, and your run Windows-based system with Internet Explorer 4.x and above, this is a very good possibility for you.

You can check it out at http://www.trendmicro.com/en/products/desktop/housecall/

MrByte
07-24-2003, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by mbravo
[B]it doesn't monitor your computer all the time, but if you want to check for viruses already present ...

I'd say this is not a huge drawback. Background "check-as-you-access-files" virus monitors usually significantly slow down even a fast PC.

Personally, I always turn off resident virus monitors for this reason (I use AVP, http://www.kaspersky.com). Given than I don't use Microsoft mail clients (and hence is pretty much protected from e-mail viruses) and download any suspicious executable files from the Internet, I feel rather secure even without a resident monitor. Of course, one day I might download a shareware program from a reputable web site and end up getting a virus which the developers didn't notice, but that hasn't happened so far (sicne ***5). Don't take me wrong though, this is not intended to discourage people from using antivirus monitors.

Also, an antivirus can protect you from known viruses and trojans, but it's useless when it comes to an unknown malicious application. Nothing can stop someone from posting a shareware utility that, say, sends your private files to a certain e-mail address, unbeknownst to you. That's where you need something like ZoneAlarm or CommView. That's why instead of running a resident antivirus, I always have a packet sniffer running. I like to know what's going on under the hood:-)

MrByte

DATA
07-25-2003, 08:40 AM
hi,

Lat time my friend goy NAV 200*,he fished up over *000 viruses.For him viruses are a part and parcel of the computer.Any way all he do is listen to mp*'s ,play movies(only for entertainment).The anti virus market is not as big(in numbers) as we expect. People really dont mind viruses-since back up has become cheaper.

Regards Data.

Piexa
07-27-2003, 09:30 PM
I run Housecall quite frequently, for four reasons:

*. I prefer an "external" virus checker...resident AV programs could be corrupted by viruses or trojans that "slip in" without detection. Then, you've got a sense of false security when the corrupt AV program gives you a false "all is well" report. With an external AV check such as Housecall, you connect directly to their server, download the ActiveX control file and you're scanned from the outside. Sure, the ActiveX control file could be compromised as it's downloading (into WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files, usually) but that's a little more difficult to do (altering a file "on the fly" where it will still operate after alteration) and, even so, you can check the control description in the directory and it will advise if it is "Installed" or "Damaged" and usually even the slightest amount of tampering or interference on download will generate a "Damaged" warning.

2. Saves me space on my hard drive and one less program to troubleshoot if I run into problems with integrated running processes, etc.

*. THEY worry about updating the virus definitions, not me :) I just use it, same as always, fully updated and ready to go when I want to use it.

4. I just think that they're awfully nice to provide the service for free and not require the users to register if they don't want to...sensitivity to privacy is a rare thing, indeed, anymore.

I agree with MrByte...even the best, most sophisticated resident virus monitors are nearly always useless because they slow things down too much and, unfortunately, are disabled by the user as a result.

Anyway...that's my two cents. Housecall is a nifty service, IMHO.

Hope you are all doing well, these days :)
~ Piexa

fEš·.·šEr
07-30-2003, 04:52 AM
Originally posted by Piexa
......................................................Hope you are all doing well, these days :)
~ Piexa

You too ~ Piexa.

------------
fEš·.·šEr

Piexa
08-01-2003, 01:32 AM
Thanks fEš·.·šEr :) Things have been rough for few months. My husband's Army reserve unit was deployed to Iraq in February.

I don't want this to become some big debate about war or military or the like. I'm not into that...and that's not what this post is about. I've just been deprived of my best guitar playing buddy in the whole, wide world and I miss him :( and...I'm lousy at solos...LOL.

Anyway, that's why I've been scarce...too many sleepless nights. But thanks for the wishes fEš·.·šEr, it's always nice to read the latest on here, even if I haven't had much to contribute. Your Sympa is developing beautifully and DATA impressed the hell outta me on the Encryption section, over there. I have NO damn idea what he said in that last post of his about Digi-Secret, but I almost stood up and applauded :D (hope you did well on your exams, DATA)

I think I'm gonna give *6Crypt a try just for fun :)

Take care, guys...

~ Piexa

DATA
08-01-2003, 07:19 AM
Wish ur family good health piexa.Good to hear frm u.

Regards Data.

Piexa
08-02-2003, 12:36 PM
Thank you, DATA...that means a lot to me. And, it's good to be back :)

~ Piexa