PDA

View Full Version : To Fever from registered member

Unregistered
07-29-2003, 11:30 PM
Hi Fever, Have not been here in a long time. It's best that I sign in as a guest - my apologies. For the past three years I have had an internet "following" (not stalking) problem. In the early days, I discovered chat rooms (as we all did) w/o any regard for security. I found one where I believe hackers would frequent. It took me a long time to figure that out. My remote address (random) was apparent. Of course, I left and after much education, I tried to bring uptodate security measures to our home PC as well as learning how to set computer settings properly.
Well, since then I have found forums (good ones) that I like to participate in, but whenever I engage in an interactive situation, this guy appears as a member (here also) and identifies himself as the name I recall from the initial experience or writes "Is that you, __?" with my nick initials.
My questions, how does he do this? Does he know when I log on? Did he set something on my computer before the firewall, etc.? My files are clean. Is he *****ing me on the internet and if so how? Spyware? Do I need something like the anonymizer? Honestly, my spouse and I are thinking of sledgehammering the drive and getting rid of the rest and starting over. Please help me if you can. Regards, NB2

fEš·.·šEr
07-30-2003, 05:18 AM
Hi

I appreciate that you are asking me for help, It would be my pleasure if I can do it.
I participate to this forum like any other member, and I am sure that other members would be also able to help you, even better.

*. what is your operating system
2. what firewall are you using
*. do you have any system port scanner installed on your PC
4. do you have a static or dynamic IP
5. do you have a permanent conexion (cable - DSL) or a dial-up modem
6. are you part of a LAN or it's a single PC
7. do you find this person on every forum you visit or only on this one

give us as much information as you can, we all here happy to help.

take care
-----------
fEš·.·šEr

DATA
07-30-2003, 06:31 AM
if u use mirc or similar chat clients,set urself +i (invisible mode)

other wise an attacker can identiy you using a /who

if ip is
*0.0.0.**

even if my is dynamic,i still can do

/who *0.*

or i u know two octects you can do

/who *0.22.*

and so on

It will display all the nick names connected to the particulat chat server unless u r in invisible mode.

Data.

Unregistered
07-30-2003, 08:07 PM
You know, I shouldn't give here some of the info. that you asked for given my situation. Data, thanks for your input. Cyberangels helped with the chat problem. I no longer go to chat rooms. I prefer to disable everything bad which needs to be enabled for chat. I have a single computer. Most of the hits at our back door come from IPs connected to our server. Our firewall has been updated so many times that you probably wouldn't know how to advise me. The firewall is rated top notch. Last night, while I was here posting, someone with my server IP somehow put "his" IP under trusted sites for the firewall because I had not selected outbound only re: firewall applications. I have corrected that. I discovered this as I was banning the address and received notification from the firewall that the address was already in trusted sites.
Anyway, how can I keep snoops from knowing that I log on in the first place and where I go on the internet. Your opinion of the anonymizer would be greatly appreciated. Regards, NB2

DATA
07-31-2003, 06:56 AM
Anyway, how can I keep snoops from knowing that I log on in the first place and where I go on the internet

Go online from internet cafe and change ur email id and some of ur browsing habits-it will be harder to ***** u.

Good Luck.

Regards Data.

mbravo
07-31-2003, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by Unregistered
You know, I shouldn't give here some of the info. that you asked for given my situation. Data, thanks for your input. Cyberangels helped with the chat problem. I no longer go to chat rooms. I prefer to disable everything bad which needs to be enabled for chat. I have a single computer. Most of the hits at our back door come from IPs connected to our server. Our firewall has been updated so many times that you probably wouldn't know how to advise me. The firewall is rated top notch. Last night, while I was here posting, someone with my server IP somehow put "his" IP under trusted sites for the firewall because I had not selected outbound only re: firewall applications. I have corrected that. I discovered this as I was banning the address and received notification from the firewall that the address was already in trusted sites.
Anyway, how can I keep snoops from knowing that I log on in the first place and where I go on the internet. Your opinion of the anonymizer would be greatly appreciated. Regards, NB2

Well, if you're really bothered, and if you feel at home with text-based interfaces, you could purchase a membership somewhere safe where they give you an SSH login, and do things from there; depending on the level of service, you could set up a little personal proxy there, or something else like that.

Note - that wouldn't mean you don't need to take care of your account over there; hosting companies get broken into regularly, too.

07-31-2003, 08:19 PM
Hi Mike, Thanks for your reply. I think my problem is a difficult thing for most people to grasp. It is not a question of wanting to hide where I browse on the internet (the "follower" is going to know a great deal about gourmet cooking and wedding plannining then - sorry, humor helps me a bit). I really feel that I have the right to go to interactive sites, like forums without someone trying to spoof my IP (if the remote address appears to all) or just letting me know that in some way he or she is present (more than just a coincidence by now). And then there is the issue of trying to manipulate my firewall or whatever. Your s***estion, I think, is more in the area of what I need. An anonymous log on and a "cloak" for me to go freely. Of course, I am not looking for an absolute solution - impossible on the world wide web, but just something to give me some privacy or a chance to have it once in awhile. I know that web proxies are pretty bad, overall. As a matter of fact, you can announce yourself even "louder". Do you have an opinion (or anyone on the forum) about, let's say, the Anonymizer (paid subscription)? Or any other private proxy that would provide ******* log on, etc.
Thanks in advance. NB2

mbravo
08-01-2003, 09:16 AM
I can't provide reasonable feedback about Anonymizer.com, since I never used the paid service. However, I would think that being the most well-known service, it might be blocked at some of the sites. So, take a look at some other anonymizers, perhaps, such as www.guardster.com or something like that. At least you should compare before you buy.

08-01-2003, 02:32 PM
Mike, thanks for your reply. I will start researching the payment proxies and make sure that I get a ******* log on and hidden Ip. I am not concerned about being denied access to some sites. I get that now with my strict PC settings and firewall settings set very high. When I solve my problem successfully, I will bring the info. back to the ***rd for others to view.

I practically "grew up" on this ***rd and am a little surprised to recognize only two members. Anyway, it was nice of you to reply. Regards, NB2 (guest now, but registered Jr. Member)

Unregistered
08-04-2003, 01:28 PM
Hi, Just information on a popular pay-for proxy, the Anonymizer. When I tried to check them out using a free trial run and used Samspade. org, I was blocked from checking to see if my IP appeared and blocked from seeing other pertinent info. So, if they won't let me check on them, then no cigar!!! There goes that idea!! Regards, NB2