PDA

View Full Version : Syn Port Attacks and Jolt attacks can u help

Denise Watling
10-03-2003, 06:34 PM
I have been alerted 4-5 times a day about syn port attacks and joly attacks by McAffee. I have traced the IP address back to my ISP BT Openworld.8*.**4.*.*22 - 2*7.*4.**.4* amongst others. All are registered to the same organisation BT. I have sent more then a dozen e-mails to BT even to the person registered on the IP addys and they still continue to scan my ports and haven't offered any satisfactory response. I have had one reply from BT which insinuated that it wasn't BT but a virus. What can I do and why do you think they are scanning my ports?

MrByte
10-10-2003, 05:55 AM
Hi,

I have been alerted 4-5 times a day about syn port attacks and joly attacks by McAffee. I have traced the IP address back to my ISP BT Openworld.8*.**4.*.*22 - 2*7.*4.**.4* amongst others. All are registered to the same organisation BT. I have sent more then a dozen e-mails to BT even to the person registered on the IP addys and they still continue to scan my ports and haven't offered any satisfactory response.

Well, firstly you should understand that is highly unlikely that BT is scanning your ports. It's a ******** of BT who is doing that. Secondly, if you're worried about that, you should send a complaint to abuse@btopenworld.com (I don't know if that's the address that you used).

I have had one reply from BT which insinuated that it wasn't BT but a virus.

Quite possible. A ******** of BT has an infected PC. The virus is trying to spread over the Internet, unbeknownst to this irresponsible user.

What can I do and why do you think they are scanning my ports?

I think you are overreacting. 4-5 times a day is nothing, really. You have a firewall, these scans can't hurt you. I get hudreds of port scans every day, and I don't care. I react *only* if there is a denial of service attack, when thousands of packets from the same IP address hit my PC, which may result in a slowdown in my PC's performance. Port scanning is very common these days. This could be a wannabe hacker, a virus, a programmer testing his network application who entered a random IP address ... anything. Complaining about every incident would be a waste of time.

MrByte

Denise Watling
10-11-2003, 02:02 PM
I have links to my website to other websites and have traced the same IP address that scans my ports from these other websites. Which leads me to believe that someone is going places I go.

I e-mailed the person who's name is listed against the IP address and asked him to explain. He didnt reply but contiues to log onto my personal webpages including those found on other sites.

This particular IP address is registered to an individual at BT Openworld even gives out the office number and e-mail contact.

You think it could be a virus tho on a ********'s PC?

HelpMe
10-21-2003, 04:44 PM
Personally, I don't know if it could be a virus, but if it is a virus the person you are writing to should have written a reply thanking for your advice.
What I want to tell you is that I had big problems with s.one who was doing me every sort of things, and nobody believed me. At last, I studied so much on information security that I published a book. The publisher was the only one to believe me and he offered some help too. Now I am at least excluding some treats.
In other words, never count on others and try to solve the problem yourself. You, and only you, are the only person who knows everything and can decide if it is worrying or not. In this mad world, nobody will help you. I would do my best, but I have no elements. Regards.