PDA

View Full Version : To Fever, From NB2 serious firewall difficulty

Unregistered
10-22-2003, 09:55 PM
Hi Fever,

Well, McAfee has taken over our computer. Even after we thought we took approp. measures to block the b***ed VirusScan E-mail scan Module. Constant downloads (?) and overriding stuff. No way to contact them. Thank goodness ****** card expires before renewal date. We'll just let that expire!!!!!!!! We know how to uninstall, but can you recap should we have left something out (Win. *8, OE). Now, what do you think of Norton? Or any other? Has anyone else reading this thread had a similar experience? Thanks in advance for your review. Regards, Newbietoo

fEš·.·šEr
10-25-2003, 04:18 AM
Originally posted by Unregistered
Hi Fever,

Well, McAfee has taken over our computer........ should we have left something out (Win. *8, OE).............. what do you think of Norton? Or any other?
UnInstalling McAfee or even his 'cousin' Norton has never been a straight forward process.
Memory Resident drivers were purposely implemented in both applications to auto-load during start-up. You cannot delete them while they are loaded. There's no easy way for un-installing.
I do not use these firewalls, I have installed *many* ZoneAlarmPro which is great fiewall. Once you know how to perfectly configure your rules you can save/restore them to XML file.
In case the normal procedure for uninstalling McAfee wouldn't work or fail on your PC, I would s***est This un-Installer (http://www.aurelitec.com/software/arplus/index.htm) that has a good reputation.

take care
fEš·.·šEr (http://fever.resourcez.com)

Unregistered
10-29-2003, 11:22 AM
Hi Fever, There is so much anger toward McAfee on the web, thought I would share how we uninstalled Virus Scan. Firewall is automatic (checked programs anyway), but Virus Scan was another matter!! One needs to do a manual uninstall of Virus Scan.
*. Edit the registry.
From the taskbar,click the Start button
Click Run
Type regetit and click OK
Press the Home key on your key***rd
The Registry Editor appears. From the menubar, click Registry
Note: If using Windows XP, click File
Click Export registry
In the "File Name" field, type backup
Click Save
Note: If you need to restore the registry, double-click on the backup file to restore it.
Click (+) next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
Click (+) next to Software
Click (+) next to Microsoft
Click (+) next to Windows
Click (+) next to CurrentVersion
Select the Run folder
Right-click and delete each of the following (if present)
. VirusScan Online
.MCUpdateExe
.MCAgentExe
Note: If you have any other McAfee items in this folder, delete them.
Close the Registry Editor
Restart your computer

Unregistered
10-29-2003, 11:51 AM
2. Remove your Temporary Internet files (cache)
Close any applications running in the background
Open Internet Explorer
On the menubar, click Tools
Click Internet Options
The internet Options dialog box appears. On the General tab, click Delete Files in the "Temporary internet files" section
Check the Delete all offline content box and click OK
Click Apply, if available
Click OK to close the window.
*. Delete all McAfee files/folders.
From the taskbar, click Start
Click Run
Type Explorer and click OK
Double-click My Computer
Double-click C: drive
Delete the MC?????.tmp folder (s) if present
Note: ? = these could be numbers or letters
From the C: drive, double-click Program Files
Double-click McAfee
Delete the VSO and shared folders, if present
Close the Windows Explorer window
Click the Start button
Click Run
Type %windir% and click OK
Look for and delete the MCBIN folder if exists.
4. If VirusScan Online if the only McAfee service installed on your computer, uninstall SecurityCenter.
Regards, NB2