PDA

View Full Version : icmp traffic after use of anon-proxy

Unregistered
11-24-2003, 03:48 PM
if've been using some anon-proxies for surfing. since that time my personel firewall (outpost) shows many (every minute!!) blocked connections of icmp, mostly Type (8/0) from this proxy. (62.**5.0.0 to 62.**5.6*.255)

can anyone help me to stop these attempts?

DATA
11-25-2003, 08:16 AM
hi,

ICMP(Types/Codes)
Testing Destination Reachability & Status
(0/0) Echo-Reply
(8/0) Echo

icmp (8/0) should be ping

I think it means that the proxy is trying to ping your compter and your firewall rules are blocking it because the firewall is set such that your terminals existance on the network cannot be determined by other computers pinging ur ip address. If you want this to stop, you should allow your firewall to accept this packet.

This is harmless, it is better if you simply ignore it rather than changing the firewall rules.

Regards Data.

Unregistered
11-27-2003, 03:49 PM
hi data,

thanks for your answere, I think I'll let them going - every 2 minutes -

besides icmp, they try outgoing connection through NetBIOS port **7, UDP . should I also ignore these attempts?

DATA
11-28-2003, 12:25 AM
hi,

are these attempts being blocked?

Data.

Unregistered
11-28-2003, 03:04 PM
hi data,

oupost shows an aktive, but blocked (0 bytes ) outgoing UDP-netBIOS connection, port**7. it is active for quite long time, up to one hour and more.

regards and thanks
ms

DATA
11-30-2003, 04:23 AM
HI,

there are a lot of vulnerabilities related to netbios services on windows machines. If you dont have a lan setup from where you are accessing the internet, you may try(which you should to protect your files) stop outbound packets from port **7.

to do that on a windows *x machine
*. go to control panel
2. click on network
*. on the top click on configuration
4. double click on tcp/ip
5. click on bindings
6. there uncheck the box- file and printer sharing for microsoft networks.

click ok for the new settings.

I am assuming that you are running a windows machine. Now see if you have any more outbound udp packets on port **7. Hopefully,there wouldn't be. If there are still outbound packets on that port,let us know.

Also can you see to where these outbound packets are addressed to?

hope this helps.

Regards Data.

fEš·.·šEr
11-30-2003, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Unregistered
hi data,

oupost shows an aktive, but blocked (0 bytes ) outgoing UDP-netBIOS connection, port**7. it is active for quite long time, up to one hour and more.

regards and thanks
ms
=======================================
Hi

May I s***est that you install on your machine Commview by Tamo Soft (http://www.tamos.com/download/main/) in addition to your regular Firewall.

This will give you a great deal of flexibility to find out the IP, Address, time, size of packets, used protocol and many other informations related to any traffic [In and Out] occuring on your machine.

Once you install it, you won't need to ask any question anymore or to wonder why is this or how is that!!

fEš·.·šEr (http://fever.resourcez.com)

DATA
12-01-2003, 08:05 AM
thats a good idea fever.
howdy :)