PDA

View Full Version : Hide from Netstat?

JaiSteele
04-03-2004, 06:09 AM
I am new here and I have a question if you guys don't mind...

A friend of mine has found a way to hide his internet connections from his own netstat. So, his own computer doesn't know he's connected, I suppose. Now, he is still connected to the internet. He can chat, check mail, surf, etc. He has also told me that by doing this, no one can get his IP address.

I am new to computers but I am learning quickly. My question is, can anyone tell me how he did this? I've done a lot of research on this subject but haven't been able to figure it out.

Thanks.

Jai

Unregistered
04-03-2004, 05:29 PM
y not ask your friend how he did it or better yet get him to take care of it for u..

DATA
04-04-2004, 06:16 AM
A friend of mine has found a way to hide his internet connections from his own netstat. So, his own computer doesn't know he's connected, I suppose. Now, he is still connected to the internet. He can chat, check mail, surf, etc. He has also told me that by doing this, no one can get his IP address

He can view web pages on the internet via an anonymous proxy because the proxy will strip the source ip address. The proxy how ever will know your true email id.
He can send mails via anonymous remailers and not reveal the ip.However the remailer will know your true ip.

Another possible way is that he has a packet maker where by he can edit the source ip before the IP packet leaves the computer to the internet.
With this method he cannot send TCP(Transmission Control Protocol) packets as they involve hand shaking. He can however send out UDP(User Datagram Packet). This is because he cannot receive any thing over the internet since the source ip You sent is faked. It means that u cant chat or view web pages using this method.

Data.

JaiSteele
04-04-2004, 06:54 AM
Unregistered, because he would like for me to figure it out. I've done as much research as I can and can't figure it out, so I thought I would see if someone else knew how it worked.

Data, I don't think you understand. He can do everything. Chat, send mail, view web pages, etc. Whatever it was he did, didn't inhibit his internet capabilities at all.

Let me see if I can explain this better...

When you go to your netstat and type "netstat -n" it pulls up all of your connections. When HE types that in, it pulls up nothing. It is basically showing him that he has no internet connections going whatsoever. The thing is, I KNOW he was connected. We were talking in a room. So, can anyone explain to me what it was he did?

DATA
04-05-2004, 05:33 AM
hello,

He is some how masking the output of netstat.

The argument-
"because the computer itself doesnot see the connection ,other computers on the internet cannot see the connection."

is incorrect.

With out an address you cant communicate,that much should be clear any way. You need a source address and a destination address.
To send any thing you need the destination address.
To receive any thing back,they need your source address.

The internet doesn't work on magic :)

Data.