windows auditing
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Asus EEE 2g pc install of Windows XP Pro by Usb Flash

Asus EEE 2g pc install of Windows XP Pro by Usb Flash

Hello, I hope I can get some help here as Ive tried about everything.. Here is my problem....

I have a Asus EEE 2g pc, right now I have Puppy Linux install onto the 2g hard drive. Puppy is not bad software, but it just has to many bugs for what I need it to do. I want to install a mini version of XP onto it. I have been to forum after forum and tried every way I can find with the results being different but all in failure.
    I have tried using Nlite and shrining it down, I have also downloaded the "asus eee 2g pc xp slim" version and it wont install.
    here is a small list of the problems it reaches..

startup pc booting from usb...works! setup examines the disk...Great!! setup copy's files...perfect..setup needs to restart, It restarts, loads the windows install screen, asks to choose partition, I choose the only one I have. It then asks me to format,(quick) or (full), I choose quick, It formats, and begins loading files and once it loads them all, the screen changes as it should with the "windows is starting" text on the bottom. The screen goes black and then I get the "blue screen of death"

I redo the same thing, but choose the (full) format on the partition, and the results are the same.

I tried booting up to dos, and x copying the I*86 folder to the c: and then changing the dir to c:I*86 and typing winnt.exe, it will load as it did b4, get past the "windows is starting, and installs for about 45 mins, then it cant find "setup.inf "<prob not the right extension" but its 2 setup. something files that it cant find.

So I bought a new xp pro disk, added it to the usb flash, and install the same way, it works, and is still missing the setup. files.

I installed a copy of windows xp sp*, and it installed just fine, took about 4 hours as it was installing from a usb drive, but it installed. Tho it didn't leave enough room for me to install sp2, so it was useless for wifi which is very important for what im using it for.

I used a walk-thru online that would use NLITE to shrink xp down to a few hundred megs, did it step by step and tried many times, and still cant get it to work.

If anyone has any idea whats wrong, or what im doing wrong i could really use the help. Ive been at this for * months now, just cant seem to get it right.
    Maybe one of you have done this and can give me an idea of what files I can load myself to make it work. Just please ..something..

small update

small update, just tried installing xp lite, got to *2 percent "setup is copying files" setup cannot continue because "setup.org" was not found or cannot be copied.

I tried another copy of windows xp, used Nlite, shrunk it to about 24* megs, began th

I tried another copy of windows xp, used Nlite, shrunk it to about 24* megs, began installing, windows logo screen comes up and shows the progress bar, the n"cannot load" "presetup.org missing from c:I*86/windows/system*2. ?Any ideas, can I just copy that file to the dir myself and it work?

+ Reply to Thread