munin
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: any guesses?

Unregistered Guest

any guesses?

I had some problems with my computer but it is much better now- just wonder what was going on. Background: Win*8se,AMD *.4 ghz. The machine would randomly loose date settings and change CPU and bus etc. speeds. This was easy to correct in BIOS. Randomly would boot into windows safe mode ( maybe once or twice a month on these 2 items)so I let it boot fully then select shutdown and reboot without opening anything. This usually worked, sometimes had to do it twice. In windows explorer a right click on a file or anything took * to 2 minutes to bring up the window, same with menu bar. Had Norton antivirus 200* installed but when I tried to start program the main windows came up for a second or two and disappeared. Did get it to work in safe mode- no viri found. OK, one day it would not even power up. Took a while but I found a 2 position connector to the mother***rd from power switch that was assembled incorrectly from factory-the "fish hook" on the 20ga wire was backwards so it did not push onto the header- possible intermittent connection. Also took forever to shutdown.

Now it is running again and I wanted it to stay that way. Had a hell of a time uninstalling Norton-kept getting errors-had to do it in safe mode. Installed Antivir 6. and adaware I think. No problems at all.

Any thoughts on what caused this behavior? Did an intermittent connection screw some things up? Why would Norton and a couple other antivirus programs all do the same thing- main window came up for only a second or two? What took so long in explorer-right click on desktop was instant. I hope this is clear enough.

Re: any guesses?

you might have some mean spyware or virus and if its already in installing antivirus wont help you now

try killing all your temps "ALL" you dont need them "internet temps" ok

download adaware at [url]www.snapfiles.com[/url]
    download spybot at [url]www.snapfiles.com[/url]

update them and run them

you can also try a sample of spysweeper from snapfiles but remember its only good for a month

and its ok to have multiple antispyware programs on your comp

i have solved some virus problems with adaware and spybot and spysweeper they kill some of the sofware associated with the virus program and making it easier to detect and kill

well good luck

Originally posted by Unregistered
    I had some problems with my computer but it is much better now- just wonder what was going on. Background: Win*8se,AMD *.4 ghz. The machine would randomly loose date settings and change CPU and bus etc. speeds. This was easy to correct in BIOS. Randomly would boot into windows safe mode ( maybe once or twice a month on these 2 items)so I let it boot fully then select shutdown and reboot without opening anything. This usually worked, sometimes had to do it twice. In windows explorer a right click on a file or anything took * to 2 minutes to bring up the window, same with menu bar. Had Norton antivirus 200* installed but when I tried to start program the main windows came up for a second or two and disappeared. Did get it to work in safe mode- no viri found. OK, one day it would not even power up. Took a while but I found a 2 position connector to the mother***rd from power switch that was assembled incorrectly from factory-the "fish hook" on the 20ga wire was backwards so it did not push onto the header- possible intermittent connection. Also took forever to shutdown.

Now it is running again and I wanted it to stay that way. Had a hell of a time uninstalling Norton-kept getting errors-had to do it in safe mode. Installed Antivir 6. and adaware I think. No problems at all.

Any thoughts on what caused this behavior? Did an intermittent connection screw some things up? Why would Norton and a couple other antivirus programs all do the same thing- main window came up for only a second or two? What took so long in explorer-right click on desktop was instant. I hope this is clear enough.
    MarineCat

Unregistered Guest
    Thanks Marinecat. Have had no problems with this thing in a month or so now. Will try Spybot. No hesitation in explorer and shutdown only takes a couple seconds.

New question: I am looking for a very complete site with virus definitions or explanations of what they do. Searched Google and from there Norton and Symantec on these two I detected today in a download. * is BRD/DRAT.**0 (backdoor trojan?) and 2. TR/CLICK.Small.AD.5. I saw these two in a list but no info.

:: answer to the first question ::

Even thou Your PC is/was new during the time it happened,
    I had the same problem periodically with one of my pc's also.
    And the reason was stupid: some kind a creapy battery on main***rd. Sometimes it just loosed contact or somethin' so BIOS 'i-dont-know-how-but-sometimes-forgot-what-hard-You-have' )

SImply_Man! Guest

Lightbulb HEY GUYS YOU CAN SEND SPAM TO ME!

Edited for spam
    Last edited by DATA; 07-21-2004 at 11:07 AM.

bug info

[url]http://www.all-nettools.com/tools*.htm[/url] this site has good info

oh and try using firefox web browser *00 time more secure

Originally posted by Unregistered
    Thanks Marinecat. Have had no problems with this thing in a month or so now. Will try Spybot. No hesitation in explorer and shutdown only takes a couple seconds.

New question: I am looking for a very complete site with virus definitions or explanations of what they do. Searched Google and from there Norton and Symantec on these two I detected today in a download. * is BRD/DRAT.**0 (backdoor trojan?) and 2. TR/CLICK.Small.AD.5. I saw these two in a list but no info.
    MarineCat

change your battery at mother***rd.

+ Reply to Thread