opennms
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: question about cable modem networking

Question question about cable modem networking

i am moving into a new place with free cable T.V....if i buy a cable modem and hook it up will it work alright? or do i have to have the cable company "set me up"? thanks!

Unregistered Guest
    cable company need to provide you with separate internet service to that line.

cable modem networking :: detailed info

Hello.

I guess, the system used by Your current provider is called DOCSIS.
    All the DOCSIS cable modems is connected to a huge router (mostly Terayone CMTS or Cisco UBR). This router holds the registry of all cable modems registered in current network by their MAC addreses.
    When a new modem is connected to cable network, modem 'asks' router permission for authorising. If the router grants the access [current MAC is in regisrty list], modem is being assigned to SID. When this part is finished, modem looks for next LAN device behind it, and assiocates its MAC address to SID also (mostly PC LAN card or router for company LANs). After this part a DHCP server 'starts to do his job' by giving IP address to the 2nd device in SID (host - PC).

So - if You are connecting to another provider, You can use Your modem if it is in the same system [DOCSIS, EuroDOCSIS etc.].
    BUT: it will not get authorisation until the MAC address will be in database of Your new IPS. How to get it there? Two ways:
    ** - sign a contract with a new company, so they will be Your new IPS and You will pay them every month.
    2* - if You are owning Thomson/RCA modem, You can try to clone a MAC to also existing modem MAC, which is also in the same network. But - if the one of the clones will already work in some SID, second will not be assiocated. So: You have to change one bit at last doth-4 digit line of MAC.

Any questions?

+ Reply to Thread