monitoring
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: svchost.exe

Unregistered Guest

Question svchost.exe

I see 5 svchost.exe's when I run Windows Task Manager (processes). It kinda looks like this:

Svchost.exe---->Local Service
    Svchost.exe---->Network Service
    Svchost.exe---->System
    Svchost.exe---->System
    Svchost.exe---->System

I know this might seem like a really dumb question but I've been having probelms with viruses and such

Unregistered Guest
    maybe I should actually ASK the question...how many svchost.exe's should I see? The thread before mine has me a little worried but I'm not having the same problem (I hope)

Unregistered Guest
    Svchost.exe is a generic host process name for services that are run from dynamic-link libraries (DLLs). The Svchost.exe file is located in the %SystemRoot%\System*2 folder. At startup, Svchost.exe checks the services portion of the registry to construct a list of services that it needs to load. There can be multiple instances of Svchost.exe running at the same time. Each Svchost.exe session can contain a grouping of services, so that separate services can be run depending on how and where Svchost.exe is started. This allows for better control and deb***ing.

Full article can be read from
    [url]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;250*20[/url]

Hope , it will help you to understand the concepts.

Cheers,

Thankurz

Unregistered Guest
    However, svchost.exe is also an alias for a trojan horse called beast. You might want to check up on this.

+ Reply to Thread