cacti
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: *80research Assistant trojan

*80research Assistant trojan

Got infected by *80research Assistant trojan - Antispyware by Giant Company Software would not remove it and eventually even safemode wouldn't respond.

So I inserted the ****** Restore Diskette + Restore CD and formatted... but can't find my Certificate of Authenticity or Product Code for Win *8SE...
    Anything I can do or must I buy new software?

Argh! I have the same darn problem on my laptop! Not only that, but I also have this other stuff, that I'm not sure if it's related or another program (a bunch of SEI stuff). I can add/remove it, but it shows up again every restart. I haven't a clue as to how to rid my computer of it. If anyone knows, that would be sooo welcome!

Thanks!

Juanpappie Guest

getting key out Win*x OS

I do not have the solution for the trojan...haven't been affected by it myself but i do know how to get the serial from ur OS (if it's still installed that is) go to start, run and type regedit in the box...u can find the serial here: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion

Hope u get it sorted.

Greets Juan

M/S Product Key...

Mamawheelie- you could try the free removal tool from [url]www.giantcompany.com[/url] or at least find out if this is the virus you have - I think Giant's stuff started to work on my machine but I may have messed up in following their quarantine instructions...Worst case you'll have to format and reinstall all your stuff.

But in case you don't have your product key, follow Juan's tip before doing any thing...

I got a generic product key from my machine's manufacturer that allowed me to start using the operating software again. Luckily I did register the machine's serial number when I purchased it...
    Spent the rest of the day doing Windows Updates, reloading files, programs, etc. What a pain! That *80research Assistant was a killer.
    Last edited by sharpshorts; 10-11-2004 at 08:00 PM.

This sounds like another very nasty trojan I had encountered. Before trying to remove this trojan, look for a text file called crash.txt or something similar. Get rid of that file first. Delete all files from your temporary folders except for cookies. Then look in your windows/system folder for any .dll files with the hidden + system + read only attributes. You can delete these except one, it has to be deleted in dos or find the entry in windows registry with a good registry cleaner, not regedit, and delete the entry. after that, it should be easy to get rid of the nasty without having to format and start over from scratch.

Unregistered Guest
    just find a crack and use that, whats the sense of rebuying the software when you already have it? Just make sure you dont do the service pack updates and you"ll be fine

Unregistered Guest
    if you want to find out anything about your own pc like serial numbers to programs installed, component serial numbers, the best diagnostic program ive ever come across thats free is everest home*5* , just trype in to a search engine ( everest diagnostics ) and you will find a free download

Unregistered Guest

Did you Mean *80Search Assistant??

I have never head of *80Research Assistant, but if you mean *80Search Assistant. Here are step by step instructions on how to remove it.

Source: Bazooka Online Spyware Removal Encyclopedia //http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/library/index.phtml?source=appvisit
    Uninstall procedure
    Uninstall *80 Search Assistant from "Add/Remove Programs" in the Windows® Control Panel.

Manual removal
    Please follow the instructions below if you would like to remove *80 Search Assistant manually. Please notice that you must follow the instructions very carefully and delete everything that is mentioned. In most cases the removal will fail if one single item is not deleted. If *80 Search Assistant remains on your system after stepping through the removal instructions, please double-check by stepping through them again.
    Start the registry editor. This is done by clicking Start then Run. (The Run dialog will appear.) Type regedit and click OK. (The registry editor will open.)
    Browse to the key:
    'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Run'
    In the right pane, delete the values called 'sais' and 'salm', if they exists.
    Exit the registry editor.
    Restart your computer.
    Start Windows Explorer and delete:
    c:\temp\salm.exe
    %ProgramsDir%\*80solutions\
    Note: %ProgramsDir% is a variable (?). By default, this is C:\Program Files.

easy stuff here....

just go to this website.....[URL=http://www.pchell.com/support/ncase.shtml]PC Hell - Remove NCase - *80 Solutions[/URL] ......it worked for me.....later......

+ Reply to Thread