xymon
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Shutdown Using MS-DOS

Unregistered Guest

about the whole remote shutdown thing...

I don't know if anyone is still looking at this thread, but if you're going to do a remote shutdown with XP, I've noticed that a certain security setting has to be in place.

Go to Start > Programs > Administrative Tools (provided that it's there) > Local Security Policy

In the little tree to the left, make sure you go to the Security Settings > Local Policies > Security Options menu. Then scroll down to where you see "Network Access: Sharing and security model for local accounts", and set it to Classic mode as opposed to the Guest only mode.

This allows any local users to log on remotely, then you can use a tool like <a href="http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/psshutdown.shtml">psShutdown</a> to log in as that user and shut 'em down.

Granted you'll need a local admin account on that machine and know the password, so that might not work at your school, but it's useful to know for other purposes.

If nothing else, while you're at school, try a command like this:
    net send * Help, the principal touched me like Michael Jackson!
    That's always fun (we got in trouble back in school for playing with the old winpopup on some Win*5 machines).
    Now, the only problem is that there was a vulnerability in the messenger service (which delivers the net send commands), and Microsoft solved the vulnerability by sending out a patch that disabled the serivce by default. However, your school might have the service on so they can send out outage notices or what not. Either way, it's worth a shot. Oh, and btw, any message you send out will have the host name on it that sent it, so do it from your friend's computer.

Unregistered Guest

help

I am having trouble making batch files. What I want to do is make four batch files. The first one to be placed in the startup directory to shutdown or disable the computer. The second one to do so remotely. Assume that the cmd remote shutdown line was disabled because you cannot see any other computers. This is for the school network, which is Novell netware 5.86. I have access to cmd, regedit, my computer, control panel, administrative tools, and everything not part of the network. I can make a new windows user with admin rights. Most things on the network are disabled. I can use Remote Assistance, but no other messenging services. I can also map the network drive, giving me access to all files, except other home directories. I was able to somehow, once logged on as them, add myself and others to the trustee rights of that student. I cannot do this to any other students. Even though i can see most network files, i cannot use some of them. Any other network tricks or ideas would be helpful. The second to wipe all files in the folder that I specify, on my command. It would be nice if it also deleted any reference to these files. The third to wipe the hard drive totaly clean, and keep the files from being recoverable, also on my command, not automaticly. It would also be great if the last two could delete themselves afterward. I didn't see any other threads where this should be posted, so this one looked good. Any help would be useful. I would also like some current novell password hack programs, all the ones that i found were out of date. I just found pandora though, so i will try that. Sorry to ask so much of you, but the people here all seemed to be experts.

Unregistered Guest
    Simply because I've been searching for this for some time now, only to solve it myself...

IF you're looking to remotely shutdown an XP Pro machine and are receiving Access is Denied, even though you can connect to the remote desktop... Turn your simple file sharing off, then try to shut 'er down again.

Wheee!

Unregistered Guest
    how do u turn simple file sharing off?

- a noob

Unregistered Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered
    I am having trouble making batch files. What I want to do is make four batch files. The first one to be placed in the startup directory to shutdown or disable the computer. The second one to do so remotely. Assume that the cmd remote shutdown line was disabled because you cannot see any other computers. This is for the school network, which is Novell netware 4.86. I have access to cmd, regedit, my computer, control panel, administrative tools, and everything not part of the network. I can make a new windows user with admin rights. Most things on the network are disabled. I can use Remote Assistance, but no other messenging services. I can also map the network drive, giving me access to all files, except other home directories. I was able to somehow, once logged on as them, add myself and others to the trustee rights of that student. I cannot do this to any other students. Even though i can see most network files, i cannot use some of them. Any other network tricks or ideas would be helpful. The second to wipe all files in the folder that I specify, on my command. It would be nice if it also deleted any reference to these files. The third to wipe the hard drive totaly clean, and keep the files from being recoverable, also on my command, not automaticly. It would also be great if the last two could delete themselves afterward. I didn't see any other threads where this should be posted, so this one looked good. Any help would be useful. I would also like some current novell password hack programs, all the ones that i found were out of date. I just found pandora though, so i will try that. Sorry to ask so much of you, but the people here all seemed to be experts.
    sorry, typo 4.86, not 5.86

[
    hey guys in need help.
    i want to shutdown a pc on our network at work but i dont know the commands to do it using ms dos promt.

Unregistered Guest

How to turn off Simple File Sharing in XP Pro

How to turn off Simple File Sharing in Windows XP Professional:
    Open up a folder (double-clicking on My Computer will do). On the menu bar, go to Tools, then Folder Options...
    Go to the View tab, and then in the Advanced Settings box, it will be the last item. It will say <I>Use Simple File Sharing (recommended)</I>. Uncheck the box to disable it.

Now as for the whole remote shutdown fix, I dunno about that. The security option thingy in Post #46 worked for me.

Unregistered Guest
    What if we dont have Xp Pro? i have regular Xp

Unregistered Guest
    no, wait i found it, but access is still denied, how do i get past this?

Unregistered Guest

Next Step

Try the instructions at the top of Post #46 (about editing the security policy). You'll have to make this change on the computer that you want to remotely shut down from your local network. Also, the setting is <B>not</B> by default, which means unless you've already done this, you'll have to go in and set it before the remote shutdowns are going to work.<BR>Next you'll need the username and password of an account (I think one with administrative priviliges) on your target computer.<BR>
    Then try to remotely shut the target computer down from another computer on the LAN. For simplification, you can use a GUI tool like this: <A href="http://www.matcode.com/remoteshutdown.htm">Remote Shutdown GUI</A>.<BR>
    Hope that helps.

Unregistered Guest
    I dont have Administrative tools under my start programs

Unregistered Guest

Admin Tools on Start Menu

It's not there by default. First, make sure that the account you're using has admin rights. Then, right-click on the taskbar and select Properties. Go to the Start Menu tab, and click the Customize button for either version of the Start Menu you're using (XP or Classic).<BR>
    <BR>
    If you're using the <B>XP Start Menu</B>: After clicking the Customize button, go to the Advanced tab of the menu that comes up. In the box entitled Start Menu items, scroll all the way to the bottom to where you see the item System Administrative Tools, and change the option to display them.<BR>
    <BR>
    If you're using the <B>Classic Start Menu</B>: After clicking the Customize button, look at the "Advanced Start Menu Options" box and the Display Administrative Tools item should be the first checkbox.<BR>
    <BR>
    Hope that helps/works.

Doxx Guest

my brain hurts

Im lost... I have a local network here at home and I would like to use the remote shutdown command (cause im lazy, and I dont feel like walking to the other side of the house to turn them off). Perfect opportunity to make this work right? Wrong. I tried the policy change procedure in post 46, and used the psshutdown command line utility. All are winxp pro, and I have admin rights on the local machine as well as the accounts/passwords for the other computers. I still receive the error "access is denied". Does anyone know what I might be missing?

I am lazy too

I would like to use the remote shutdown command (cause im lazy, and I dont feel like walking to the other side of the house to turn them off).
    In your line of code for the psshutdown.exe you need to specify a the computername and username and pass of the machine you are shutting down.

Ex: I am trying to shut down a computer named BOB. A user has an account on the computer with username: Syntax****** password: shutdown

Code:
    psshutdown -f -u BOB\Syntax****** -p shutdown
    Last edited by SyntaXmasteR; 04-27-2005 at 02:47 PM.
    [url=http://www.syntax******.info/tools/services.php]Speed Up Windows XP[/url]
    [url=http://www.syntax******.info/tools/ip.php]Get An Ip Address[/url]
    [url=http://www.syntax******.info/tools/base_converter.php]Base Converter[/url]
    --------------------------------
    [URL=http://www.boninroad.com/syntax******/]Old Site[/URL]
    [URL=http://www.syntax******.info]Comming Soon[/URL]

Unregistered Guest

Anoying sister guy

<b>I have a .vbs script just for that purpose. It will actually be a script running in the background that says "IF THE PROCESS %WHATEVER.EXE% START STOP IT IMMEDIATELY" What is the name of the process that runs when you start the messenger? I will add it to the script and post it here.[/QUOTE]<b>

msnmsgr.exe is the process

+ Reply to Thread