Hi all. What I'm about to ask you is so irredeemably facile and trivial that you might as well flame my sorry n00b rump before you read any further.

Still with me? Good.

I'm trying to run VNC and an ftp server from my home machine so I can access it while at work. I've set up a Dynamic Update Client to map to a memorable address and it resolves perfectly well when LOOKUPed. The problem is that neither the VNC viewer nor the ftp client will connect with the servers on my machine. I have tried it through the domain and also the IP address that the domain maps to, but neither work. I get a connection timeout from VNC and a 4** error from the ftp client for both the IP address and the domain.

PINGing the IP results in a 'host unreachable' error message.

At first I thought it might be a corporate firewall stopping the connection, but I can connect perfectly well to my dreamhost-managed domain and hosting space, just not this one.

It's possible (and a WHOIS confirmed my suspicions) that the IP that I have might map to a proxy at my ISP (NTL Cable). Does this sound plausible? If so, how do I resolve it?

Thanks in advance for your kind help/vitriolic-but-amusing flames,

Dazzla.