hobbit monitor
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FTP/VNC connection issues

FTP/VNC connection issues

Hi all. What I'm about to ask you is so irredeemably facile and trivial that you might as well flame my sorry n00b rump before you read any further.

Still with me? Good.

I'm trying to run VNC and an ftp server from my home machine so I can access it while at work. I've set up a Dynamic Update Client to map to a memorable address and it resolves perfectly well when LOOKUPed. The problem is that neither the VNC viewer nor the ftp client will connect with the servers on my machine. I have tried it through the domain and also the IP address that the domain maps to, but neither work. I get a connection timeout from VNC and a 4** error from the ftp client for both the IP address and the domain.

PINGing the IP results in a 'host unreachable' error message.

At first I thought it might be a corporate firewall stopping the connection, but I can connect perfectly well to my dreamhost-managed domain and hosting space, just not this one.

It's possible (and a WHOIS confirmed my suspicions) that the IP that I have might map to a proxy at my ISP (NTL Cable). Does this sound plausible? If so, how do I resolve it?

Thanks in advance for your kind help/vitriolic-but-amusing flames,

Dazzla.

ABHIS Guest

Re: FTP/VNC connection issues

Originally posted by Dazzla
    I have tried it through the domain and also the IP address that the domain maps to, but neither work.
    Make sure to open the appropriate ports on your firewall where the 2 servers are running:
    default 20 & 2* for ftp
    default (5800-javaApplet) & 5*00 for vpn

PINGing the IP results in a 'host unreachable' error message.
    Dazzla.
    This is "normal" when port ZERO (0)(ICMP) is closed on your firewall, where the servers are running.
    this won't affect at all the operation of the ftp or the vnc servers, as long as their appropriate ports are WIDE OPEN.

Thanks ABHIS. I'll try that when I get back home tonight.

Unregistered Guest
    Cheers ABHIS. Opening ports 2* and 22 worked for the ftp server, but still getting connection timeouts for the vnc dwespite opening 5800 for incoming and 5*00 for outgoing.

I think I'm just going to have to print my settings and compare them

Originally posted by Unregistered
    Cheers ABHIS. Opening ports 2* and 22 worked for the ftp server, but still getting connection timeouts for the vnc dwespite opening 5800 for incoming and 5*00 for outgoing.

Oops.

That was me.

ABHIS Guest
    Originally posted by Unregistered

*. FTP
    I did not mention port 22
    port 20 File Transfer [Default Data] (udp&tcp)
    port 2* File Transfer [Control] (udp&tcp)
    port 22 SSH Remote Login Protocol

As you can see, you need to open both 20 & 2* (not 2* & 22)
    Close 22, DO NOT LEAVE IT OPEN
    BTW, make sure that 20 & 2* are open (INCOMING)BUT ALSO allows both upd&tcp

2. VNC
    I did NOT say that 5800 for incoming and 5*00 for outgoing
    5800 is incoming for the java applet
    5*00 is ALSO incoming for the normal operation.
    there is NO outgoing specific ports to be opened. the tcp/ip socket will handle it automatically.

port 5800 is used to connect to your server from a remote point using
    Any web browser (MSIExplorer, OPERA, Firefox..) by typing this
    [url]http://this.is.my.home.com:5800[/url]

While port 5*00 is used to connect to your server from a remote point
    using the VNC client.

cheers

Sorry, port 22 was my mistake. I closed it immediately when I found out what it was for.

Well, I opened ports 5*00 and 5800 (on TCP - I understand that VNC has nothing to do with UDC) and tested the connection externally using [url]http://gotomyVNC.com.[/url] It shows ports 5*00 and 5800 are open, as I expected, but I still can't connect from work.

I tried connecting via a browser on [url]http://my_vnc_host:5800[/url](I found that info on the VNC FAQ) and OKed the VNC viewer connection detials dialogue box (the information contained in there was "my_vnc_host.com:0". 0 is the display number, right?

The applet displayed the RealVNC v4 logo and I got a response: java.net.NoRouteToHostException: Operation timed out

I know this password can occur on a fwalled machine without a password set up and I have set up a password (I'm not *that* n00b) I'm wondering if the corporate firewall that I'm sitting behind does indeed block outgoing VNC requests.

I got a friend to portscan my system and pen test my ftp server and he reported no problems.

ABHIS Guest
    Sorry, port 22 was my mistake. I closed it immediately when I found out what it was for.
    You did well

I tried connecting via a browser on [url]http://my_vnc_host:5800[/url](I found that info on the VNC FAQ) and OKed the VNC viewer connection detials dialogue box (the information contained in there was "my_vnc_host.com:0". 0 is the display number, right?

The applet displayed the RealVNC v4 logo and I got a response: java.net.NoRouteToHostException: Operation timed out
    concerning port 5800:
    Many corporate admin disable the java engine from their Network, (so did I), this might be a very possible reason for getting the
    java.net.NoRouteToHostException error as your java (at work) is NOT running properly.

concerning port 5*00:
    Your corporate firewall IS the reason for sure, try from some friend's PC.

(I'm not *that* n00b)
    I'm sure you are not.. for this reason try [url=http://foundstone.com/index.htm?subnav=resources/navigation.htm&subcontent=/resources/assessment.htm]this[/url]

ABHIS

+ Reply to Thread