opennms
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Information through IP???

Unregistered Guest

Information through IP???

I need help...please don't insult me, yes I'm a noob to ALOT of this.

I was playing a game of Yahoo chess and the person who was playing me got mad and said they would hack my computer. Since many people make false claims I laughed about it but then he called me by my last name...

My Yahoo profile DOES NOT contain my first OR last name, or ANY information whatsoever. He must have traced my IP and found some information about me, but HOW???

I would really like to know how this person accompliushed this. If you can help please explain how this can be done.

Thanx!

ABHIS Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered
    I need help...please don't insult me, yes I'm a noob to ALOT of this.

I was playing a game of Yahoo chess and the person who was playing me got mad and said they would hack my computer.
    By definition, chess players are calm, non-impulsive and understandable
    are you sue he is a chess player??
    Since many people make false claims I laughed about it but then he called me by my last name...
    The guy knew who you are, THIS HAS NOTHING to do with your IP.
    My Yahoo profile DOES NOT contain my first OR last name, or ANY information whatsoever. He must have traced my IP and found some information about me, but HOW???
    This is pure fiction, your IP (and mostly when it is dynamic) WILL NOT reveal any names.

Activate your WinXP native firewall and relaaaaaaaaaaaax.

stay cool mate

Unregistered Guest
    this guy did not know who i was...im positive about that

i am not freaking out about this...just curious and perplexed.

i was on a work computer so the chances that my personal information were on the computer i was using are very small...another reason why this confuses me. how could one find out your last name just by seeing your yahoo id or your ip?

ABHIS Guest
    i was on a work computer so the chances that my personal information were on the computer i was using are very small...
    oh, you didn't mention before that you were at work.
    This makes lot of sence as "most of the times", the computer name at work within a LAN is something like jsmith*2202 for (joe smith setup on dec 2nd 2002).
    Thos is NOT YOUR USER NAME.
    If this is the case, then for sure he found (or guessed) your name by simply using netstat ..
    If you want to check that, use the same PC, and type "hostname" (without quotes) in the command line then hit enter.
    cheers.

+ Reply to Thread