cacti
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: COmmand Prompt

Talking COmmand Prompt

I have access to command prompt and wondered how to change my settings i.e. from a regular user to an administartor.

Thanks for any help

i can't seem to change my password it's not letting me for some reason any ideas?

Command prompt

Quote Originally Posted by *2*456
    I have access to command prompt and wondered how to change my settings i.e. from a regular user to an administartor.

Thanks for any help

i can't seem to change my password it's not letting me for some reason any ideas?
    You cant just change your account to administrator from command prompt, dont you think microsoft would put at least some security on their os. Just because you can use command prompt doesnt give you any more access than before, the accounts are still password protected. If you're trying to change your account to administrator, why dont you just buy your own damn computer instead of wasting your time trying to access someone else's. But if you wanted to get the administrator password, there are ways to get it, like cain & abel, or lophtcrack 5 (which you have to buy), these programs can use brute force (lc5 can use dictionary attack as well) to crack all the accounts on the computer, this is a definite way to get passwords and doesnt fail, but it takes around 6 hours to crack the password if it isnt a dictionary word, so you have to have access to the computer for 6 hours. Or, you could use the program pwdump2 or another like it to get the password hashes into a text file to crack at a more convenient time, like when you have 6 hours to spare. Or, you could make a batch file to add a admin account with full access on next startup, then place it in a startup directory/add to registry if you have access, I think someone posted on this forum how to do that.

Talking

Cheers. Am not trying to get admin access on someone elses computer as such. Am on a network so have you any ideas how i could change my read/write access to change other users files on the network. I know how to change read/write access but wondered how to do it in command prompt. Thanks once again for your help. If you can't be arsed explaining do you have any links or anything to articles on it etc.

Cheers pal

Lightbulb

Just playing about on my computer at the moment. Looking through the options available i came accross cacls in cmd. I soon realised that i could change a user's settings to full control through here but i can't seem to get it working. Please could you help by providing an example of what i would have to enter in cmd:

user: *2*456
    access: full control
    file/(directory): C:

Am not *00% sure whether you can give full control to a directory such as C: or whether the cacls function allows you to change settings for files only?

Thanks once again

Command prompt

Just playing about on my computer at the moment. Looking through the options available i came accross cacls in cmd. I soon realised that i could change a user's settings to full control through here but i can't seem to get it working. Please could you help by providing an example of what i would have to enter in cmd:

user: *2*456
    access: full control
    file/(directory): C:

Am not *00% sure whether you can give full control to a directory such as C: or whether the cacls function allows you to change settings for files only?

Thanks once again

I dont use windows command prompt that much, but even when using the calcs command you would still have to have administrator rights on the computer to access or change anything inside the protected directories, like C\Documents and Settings\Username or anything else they have kept private. Any command you can use in command prompt is just a program in the C:\WINDOWS\system*2 directory (if you go there you can see all the programs with names of commands), so it will be able to access as much as any other program could, and the same limitations of user accounts will still apply.

"any ideas how i could change my read/write access to change other users files on the network"

I assume you are talking about windows file sharing, and someone has enabled it on your network, if they have password protected it, then you could probably find a program to brute force the password, if you are just stuck because they have only shared one folder and you want more, then I cant really help you with it, their compter will only allow access to what they specified when setting it up. If you are on a lan, you should try cain & abel and sniff the network, you can usually find their passwords when theyre logging into email accounts and stuff.

Talking

Or8 cheers pal to be honest am not after using any software such as IP scanners, sniffing software etc etc. I was just messing around with command prompt seeing what stuff i could alter. Anyone else know how to use cacls or how to change read/write acess through cmd without admin privilidges? And also you know how at school, college and uni and the library etc they block certain webpages is there a way to enable access to them via the command prompt?

cheers
    Last edited by 123456; 01-07-2006 at 03:29 PM.

doesn't matter i've found an easier way to change my settings to admin via the command prompt

thanks

Wink Hope this works

Quote Originally Posted by mike*0*
    I dont use windows command prompt that much, but even when using the calcs command you would still have to have administrator rights on the computer to access or change anything inside the protected directories, like C\Documents and Settings\Username or anything else they have kept private. Any command you can use in command prompt is just a program in the C:\WINDOWS\system*2 directory (if you go there you can see all the programs with names of commands), so it will be able to access as much as any other program could, and the same limitations of user accounts will still apply.

"any ideas how i could change my read/write access to change other users files on the network"

I assume you are talking about windows file sharing, and someone has enabled it on your network, if they have password protected it, then you could probably find a program to brute force the password, if you are just stuck because they have only shared one folder and you want more, then I cant really help you with it, their compter will only allow access to what they specified when setting it up. If you are on a lan, you should try cain & abel and sniff the network, you can usually find their passwords when theyre logging into email accounts and stuff.
    just go to cmd and delete the directories that are protected i mean if u press help it gives u all the commands and then its like dirrem or something like that
    WAFFLES?!?!? OMFG WHERE?!!?

Command prompt

You cant just "delete the directories", they are protected which means protected from being deleted as well. Just by using command prompt doesnt give you any more advantage over the user accounts system.

Thumbs up heres my advice

if u wanted to get the admins password then install a keylogger on ur computer and the go back and check the files that should give u the pass
    WAFFLES?!?!? OMFG WHERE?!!?

Lightbulb

Just a question providing the admin's don't have security software e.g. Ranger on the computer's logging everything you do is there any way they can tell what you have entered in cmd or what you have accessed? Is it possible to open websites that have been blocked through cmd possibly by using nslookup and finding the ip address of a webpage or something?

Cheers for the help

Command prompt

Just a question providing the admin's don't have security software e.g. Ranger on the computer's logging everything you do is there any way they can tell what you have entered in cmd or what you have accessed? Is it possible to open websites that have been blocked through cmd possibly by using nslookup and finding the ip address of a webpage or something?

Cheers for the help
    They can tell what files you have accessed, but not what you typed in them. They can do this by looking at the mru list, most recently used. You can get programs that delete the list of recently accessed files, this program cleans prety much everything.

[url]http://www.pcmesh.com/cicp.exe[/url]

Most website blockers block ip numbers as well, but if you want to try, in command prompt type
    ping [url]www.google.com[/url]
    or whatever site you want to go on, then you should see the ip somewhere in the command prompt.

Wink

With regard to your last post not *00% on this one but i think am right in saying when you open a webpage on a computer that has a website blocker it checks an entry against a list i.e. if you type in [url]www.google.com[/url] it checks the list for [url]www.google.com[/url] and supposing [url]www.google.com[/url] is in the list you wouldn't be allowed on but if you use the ip address for [url]www.google.com[/url] which is: 72.*4.207.** then it checks the list for 72.*4.207.** and doesn't find it so allows you to view the site. I think am right in saying that. I haven't tried on a computer with a website blocker as such i just manually added a few websites to the restricted list in IE and what i said worked.

On the thing about clearing recently accessed files i am aware there are loads of programs which clear these files but i was trying to do it without additional programs. I am aware you can clear the temp files in cmd but i am not *00% sure where the mru list is located so have you any ideas how i could delete the mru list through cmd?

Cheers Mike

Command prompt

With regard to your last post not *00% on this one but i think am right in saying when you open a webpage on a computer that has a website blocker it checks an entry against a list i.e. if you type in [url]www.google.com[/url] it checks the list for [url]www.google.com[/url] and supposing [url]www.google.com[/url] is in the list you wouldn't be allowed on but if you use the ip address for [url]www.google.com[/url] which is: 72.*4.207.** then it checks the list for 72.*4.207.** and doesn't find it so allows you to view the site. I think am right in saying that. I haven't tried on a computer with a website blocker as such i just manually added a few websites to the restricted list in IE and what i said worked.

On the thing about clearing recently accessed files i am aware there are loads of programs which clear these files but i was trying to do it without additional programs. I am aware you can clear the temp files in cmd but i am not *00% sure where the mru list is located so have you any ideas how i could delete the mru list through cmd?

Cheers Mike
    Yeah, well what I was saying was that they may also include the ip numbers in the list as well, or have some more complicated method of checking ips against blocked lists, so sometimes its not that simple, but its worth a try. The MRU is located in windows xp in

C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Recent

where username is the account you're logged onto. There is probably a few more locations where recently accessed files are stored, but thats the only one I can remember. Once in the recent folder, just delete anything thats there, theyre just links. You asked for a cmd way to clear mru, well it's probably just as easy to clear them using the windows gui. If you desperately wanted to clear it in cmd, then you should cd to the right directory (C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Recent) then use the del command to delete everything, and the dir command to view all available files.

Lightbulb

Cheers Mike i don't know why it didn't occur to me that it would be in the recent folder. Erm seeing as you seem to have a broad knowledge of computers any ideas how i could deny access to the control panel for certain users on a computer running Win Xp Home edition

Cheers pal

+ Reply to Thread