munin
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Yahoo email from forged Hotmail address?

Yahoo email from forged Hotmail address?

I'm considering doing business with an overseas source. I made the contact with them based on information from a trusted friend. I received a request from them to join Yahoo Messenger with Voice to discuss matters. The thing that has me on edge is that the Yahoo request, which was legit, came with a "From" address that resolves to a forged Hotmail address.

I ran the full message through SpamCop and it says Yahoo was the source.

I looked up the IP address where the message originated and does come from the country it's supposed to come from.

I don't want to insult these guys by questioning their integrity, but something looks fishy. All I've got is a forged Hotmail address and a Yahoo address.

How easy is it to send a message from Yahoo and mung the "From" line?

Spoof

Quote Originally Posted by WeatherNinja
    I'm considering doing business with an overseas source. I made the contact with them based on information from a trusted friend. I received a request from them to join Yahoo Messenger with Voice to discuss matters. The thing that has me on edge is that the Yahoo request, which was legit, came with a "From" address that resolves to a forged Hotmail address.

I ran the full message through SpamCop and it says Yahoo was the source.

I looked up the IP address where the message originated and does come from the country it's supposed to come from.

I don't want to insult these guys by questioning their integrity, but something looks fishy. All I've got is a forged Hotmail address and a Yahoo address.

How easy is it to send a message from Yahoo and mung the "From" line?
    It's very easy, it's called email spoofing. All you need is an email spoofing program - there are hundreds of these, and a mail server, then it's as easy as just filling in the "from" address with whatever you like. And of course, they don't even need a mail server, they could just run their own one. If your email account is with hotmail, go on his/her email and it should say they cannot be verified by sender id - this usually means it's a spoof. You should turn on full email headers for your account - if you don't know how to I will explain, then on their message find the x - originating ip, then find the location from one of these sites

[url]http://www.ip2location.com/free.asp[/url]
    [url]http://www.ripe.net/[/url]

Then you will know where they are really from. But if you think it might be a spoof, then it probably is.

HELP!!!! Email Recovery!!!

I had an email sent to my yahoo account. It got deleted! Is there any way to recover it! Someone please help me with this!

+ Reply to Thread