opennms
Closed Thread

Thread: Somebody threatened to trace my street address

Angry Somebody threatened to trace my street address

I visited a blog that had copied some of my book reviews without my permission, and I left a comment for the person. It wasn't threatening, I just told them that they were cowardly creeps for copying my book reviews without referencing ME. So the person posted my ip address on her blog, along with the state and city I live in, the port and OS my computer uses etc. and told me she can now hack into my computer because I have cable (comcast), and that she will put a sniffer on my computer and get info on my emails and **** accounts (logins and passwords), and all websites that I visit. She also said she will get my name and street address and that "I'll be sorry". She removed the post a few days later. Is it possible for somebody to be able to do what she threatened? I thought that one would only be able to get somebody's name and physical address from an ISP if one had a court order.

I don't know whether to laugh at this person or be afraid. I don't know much about computers at all. I visited the blog again using a free proxy in case she posted more about me, but nothing has been mentioned.

Should I just ignore the threats?

Thanks so much for any advice you can give me.

fabioejp Guest

Post ...

If you keep your system up-to-date (antivirus, firewall) then you are a bit safer.

I don't use (comcast) but as a pass time you should create a small log on were (if ADSL) you note down all IP changes. For example every time i connect i note which ip was given to me. In my Dial up connection it changes every time i connect but with a maximum of ** diferent IP'S in the other hand ADSL has a static IP which in some cases it take a while to change.

In case what you are saying is "veridict", you should hold legal privilege to text and you can press charge against it. Two situations may happen and that is your text is removed or the website is shutdown no matter what (I have a small website project [url]www.2search.co.nr[/url], not very popular but with enough popularity for some dudes to create copycats (6 now and all shutdown))

Anyone more wise correct if i wrong!!!!!!
    If a sniffer is installed at least the other fellow is running in the same subnet in this situation comcast internet service provider, you can contact them to their abuse line or something the only thing you shouldn't do is DO NOTHING.

Thank you Fabio. I have a fixed IP because I have cable. How do I know if there is a sniffer on my connection?

tracing your ip address

I can tell you now that the person who said that is a n00b and probably knows even less than you about hacking. What they have done is take a quick look at their logs, find your ip address, then post it. Then they look it up on a site like [url]www.arin.com[/url] that has a whois database with information on most ip numbers, or a site like [url]www.ip2location[/url]. This will only tell them your isp, and address of your isp, even with broadband connections your ip still changes each time you connect, and is only registered to the isp who owns it.

"along with the state and city I live in"
    Yes, your isp's location is going to be in your state, and probably city. This proves nothing.

"the port and OS my computer uses etc."
    The port and OS your computer uses? Yes, a simple php script can log the OS and browser you visited their site with, and like before, it proves absolutely nothing. The OS is probably going to be windows, it's not exactly critical information for a hacker to use. And the port your computer uses? All I can say is wtf. Computers use different ports for different connections, and they probably think they are ***7 because they found the port you visited their site with, which will be port 80, like the same port 80 ALL http connections use for every computer in the world, again, to a hacker this information is useless.

"and told me she can now hack into my computer "
    Well she is a n00b, just laugh at her pathetic attempts to scare you, and give a link to this thread where we are all laughing at her.

"because I have cable (comcast), and that she will put a sniffer on my computer and get info on my emails and **** accounts (logins and passwords)"
    A ip on cable still changes, the only ips that don't change are in corporate networks and places that pay a lot of ***** for their connection. While sniffers CAN get passwords and other stuff, a sniffer has to be run from INSIDE your own network, so unless you can see her outside your house with a laptop sniffing your network over your wireless connection, you have nothing to worry about. You can't just sniff some random ip, sniffers can only work because of the way routers (and your local area network) handle data, so it has to be done from within your network.

and all websites that I visit.
    lol, well where exactly is there going to be a log of all the websites you have visited. Only in your browser's "history" which you can clear, or in the logs your isp may keep, I don't know, but there is no way she would have access to any of this.

She also said she will get my name and street address and that "I'll be sorry".
    Well she is full of crap, again. She will only get the address of your isp, not your own address. She will "be sorry", if she posts the location of your isp and says that's where you live, like a n00b.

Is it possible for somebody to be able to do what she threatened?
    No.

I thought that one would only be able to get somebody's name and physical address from an ISP if one had a court order.
    Yes, your isp is the only place that has information connecting your ip at a specific time to your real name and address. They assign ip numbers back to other people after you reconnect/disconnect every time, so there is no way other than actually seeing their records, to find your real address.

I don't know whether to laugh at this person or be afraid.
    I would laugh.

I visited the blog again using a free proxy in case she posted more about me
    Don't even waste your time using a proxy, she can't do anything with your ip, apart from finding what isp you have or some port scanning, from what I have heard she wouldn't even know how to do that.

how do I know if there is a sniffer on my connection?
    lol, you look outside for people sitting in cars with laptops? They have to be on your LAN, so unless they are directly hooked up to the router or using it's wireless connection, they can't "sniff" anything.

Should I just ignore the threats?
    Don't just ignore the "threats", tell her what a n00b she is and give her a link to this thread, so we can start flaming her.
    Last edited by Ezekiel; 03-28-2006 at 04:30 AM.

Mike *0*

Mike*0*: THANK YOU so much for taking the time to give me a detailed explanation to each of my questions. After reading each of your points I realize that this person has been reading too many Tom Clancy novels. I cannot thank you enough for your help.

I love these noobs, happens all the time.

"PMG I CNA USE A PHR** SITE 2 TOTTALLY h4x()R u thrU ur iP ftw?!?!/*".

Kind of annoying and sad really. Link please?

She may not have even meant for this much worry and concern... lol

It's no so easy... Can be some interest variant when this person in same subnetwork with you (i mean use the same ISP), if it's right - that no proxy protect you... And if you use Windows... it can be terrible...

Try to find you real IP in proxy headers... [URL="http://my-addr.com/my-ip-and-proxy-headers/geo-city-country-lookup/my_ip.php"]IP address and proxy headers[/URL]
    if you don't find it - you can no worry about...

Wow, this thread is 2 years old. Don't bring up old threads.
    "Workers of the world unite; you have nothing to lose but your chains." -Karl Marx

Closed Thread