cacti
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Memory Sticks

Memory Sticks

At college they have recently blocked access to memory stick disk drives. So basically you stick your memory stick in the computer and nothing happens. I know you can change this in Admin Tools>Services>Removable Storage. But the technicians kinda latched on to this and blocked it. Any ideas how to tackle this problem. Its a real pain in the ass when you want to transfer work from home.

Cheers for any help

P.S. changing directory in cmd doesn't work either

Quote Originally Posted by *2*456
    At college they have recently blocked access to memory stick disk drives. So basically you stick your memory stick in the computer and nothing happens. I know you can change this in Admin Tools>Services>Removable Storage. But the technicians kinda latched on to this and blocked it. Any ideas how to tackle this problem. Its a real pain in the ass when you want to transfer work from home.

Cheers for any help

P.S. changing directory in cmd doesn't work either
    I'm not an expert on how windows blocks things such as drives, but I am sure they haven't blocked all memory stick access, what would be the point? All it does it block people from transferring legitimate files accross. I can understand website filtering etc, but I have never heard of memory stick blocking. Are you sure it's not just because they are old computers (<win*8) and do not have the correct drivers installed? If they block usb memory stick drives, you could get/host a ftp server to make any files available where ever you are, or you could burn them to cd/dvd then take the cd as a replacement to the memory stick. You could just dump the windows password hashes, crack them at home, then you have the admin password, but I don't think that was the point of this topic. I think syntax****** and some other people on this forum are more knowledgable about windows administration etc, so you could wait for them to read this.

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\USBSTOR , there you'll see a DWORD named "Start", change its value from "4" to "*" ("4" means disable and "*" enable). You must have the proper privileges to do that :P

Another way of blocking a plug and play device in windows can be by disabling
    "Shell Hardware Detection" sevice. To get it on u need to execute it from cmd shell. I dont exactly remember its command. You will have to search the net for it.

[eq: tlntsvr.exe is for "Telnet" service]

In response to what Mike*0* said. I think basically there thinking behind this is server space although am not *00% sure. Basically they have no cd-rom drives, you can't download attachments from Hotmail. So you have to take your memory stick to the technicians and they put your files in your user area. I;m guessing to limit the size of your user areas, monitor what you put on and make sure you don't put videos, music files etc which take up a lot of space. But like i say am not *00% sure why they've done it. The machines are Win XP and are fully capable. Please could you explain the ftp server. I'm aware that its a way of sharing files over the internet. But would i have to install the software on the college computers?(which i wouldn't be able to).I think you just have to install it on your personal computer then basically you broadcast it to the web.Correct? Could you recommend any free ones?(what do you think of SmartFTP CLient). Can you do it through command prompt (share files via ftp). Please could you explain using an example of how to use ftp through the command prompt.

Cheers for your help

Quote Originally Posted by *2*456
    In response to what Mike*0* said. I think basically there thinking behind this is server space although am not *00% sure. Basically they have no cd-rom drives, you can't download attachments from Hotmail. So you have to take your memory stick to the technicians and they put your files in your user area. I;m guessing to limit the size of your user areas, monitor what you put on and make sure you don't put videos, music files etc which take up a lot of space. But like i say am not *00% sure why they've done it. The machines are Win XP and are fully capable. Please could you explain the ftp server. I'm aware that its a way of sharing files over the internet. But would i have to install the software on the college computers?(which i wouldn't be able to).I think you just have to install it on your personal computer then basically you broadcast it to the web.Correct? Could you recommend any free ones?(what do you think of SmartFTP CLient). Can you do it through command prompt (share files via ftp). Please could you explain using an example of how to use ftp through the command prompt.

Cheers for your help
    Ftp is a protocol for sharing files, like you said. The whole ftp process consists of a ftp server, and a client. You can either get a ftp from a hosting service, or run one on your computer. You upload files to the ftp, then you can access them from anywhere. If you host a ftp from home, you need to get a dynamic dns account, then forward port 2* to your local IP in your router's settings, then you can access the ftp. If it's hosted somewhere else, you just connect to the ftp and download files etc. Once a ftp is running and configured correctly, all you have to do is connect with a ftp client and take whatever files you need. There are many clients, windows also includes a ftp program, type ftp into the command prompt to start it (you need to know ftp commands). It's not like you can just connect to a ftp server with telnet, there is a secondary stream of data (the files) as well as the text you send to tell it what to do, which is why you need a proper ftp program. But FF and IE both can handle ftp, so if you have a ftp server running, all you got to do is enter the host name prefixed by [url]ftp://,[/url] not [url]http://,[/url] so you would type [url]ftp://yoursite.com[/url] into your browser, and it will display the files you can download. Or, you can use windows ftp command/program to upload and download files.
    Last edited by Ezekiel; 04-18-2006 at 12:02 PM.

Yeah its happened at my school, they have memory stick sockets but you need to be a administrator to download things from them. Takes the piss

+ Reply to Thread